Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing under lights at lake mead?
reading the recent ndow report on mead and it stated "fishing under lights is productive on dark nights".
what does this mean?

Ive seen boats riged up with huge light arrays for bow fishing carp in other states. When I bank fish at night I usally keep the light off due to bugs, wonder if the lantern was on the shoreline would it get there attention. Are fish attracted to light ? What about lighted bobbers?

I saw that one post on here where someone threw a glowstick down and shad were everywhere.

thanks guys
[signature]
We buy car fog lights and rig them to float and shoot the beam down while fishing about 50feet of water on moonless nights. Recently, we've purchased these "fishing lights" which work really well. Turn it on, give it 20-45minutes and you'll see swarms of fish under your boat. smaller ones, but the bigger ones lurk just under them and just outside the perimeter.

this is where I bought my lights:

http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/
[signature]
Thanks willy702[cool]
If anyone else wants to post up there experience/thoughts about fishing under lights at mead go ahead I'm hoping The Whizzle could chime in and let us know what he thinks thank again guys until then[fishin]
[signature]
I will put my two cents in.

I use a green light all the time at night moon or not. The light attracts the planton and then the shad and at last the stripers. I have caught all sizes of fish and shad from the boat. Sometimes i shut of the light to see what will happen. Most of the time the bite shuts off also.

In the old days the use to hang up lanterns up above the boat. This was to keep the bugs away. But this has the same effect on the water. I have used both white and green lights with good success. Best thing i can say is get out there and try some lights at night and report back. Good luck out there.

Stripercraze
[signature]
Yeah, lights seem to work. Like Stripercraze said, its all about the food chain. The lights draw plankton, which draw shad, which draw gamefish.

BUT... you can have a million fish under your boat; it's your technique that catches fish, not lights.
[signature]
Would you recommend their brand of lights to others? Does anyone else know of any decent quality lights for fishing?
[signature]
I read somewhere that the green light penetrates farther. I bought the green glow stick from bass pro for like 15 bucks. Came with alligator clips for a battery and draws very little juice. Worked great. It brought in tons of shad.
[signature]
We use to hang car fog lights over the side... this fishing light is much more convinient. you can get 65 or 100watt, it has a radius of up to 45' and completely water-proof. We just toss it over and clip to the battery. Fair warning though: get a separate battery, this light will burn through you boat battery in 5-6 hours if its fully charged. Don't want to get stranded now. We even use it for shore fishing... hang it over the side of the fishing pier or just toss it out from shore... has a 15' cord.
[signature]
Thanks guys for giving me some insight on this. Next time out at mead im gonna try it poor man style = tie a standard glowstick onto 10 yards of line and toss it out there. I will be shorebound like always Ill let it know when I try it out thanks again untill then[fishin]
[signature]
If you drive down to Boxcar your lantern will reflect off the steep cliffs/boulders and onto the water. This will attract the fish same as being on the water with a boat.
[signature]