Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle Weber Report
Fished between Coalville and Wanship from about 5pm till dark. There were a few caddis coming off, but nothing really rising until dark. Tried all kinds of nymphs with limited success. This has to be the worst summer of fishing I've experienced in a long time. Anyone have any tactics they want to share for the middle weber? I never have much success on the Weber.

Justin
[signature]
I fished that section Friday with some success. I started fishing around 5:30 PM and left the river around 7:30. Similar to last week I fished a caddis the whole time. Caught half a dozen or so and lost at least that many during the two hours. Most of the fish were pretty small, but I did land a 17 incher that made the trip worth it, and had one or two of similar size on before pulling the ole' long line release. Think small and brown when fishing a caddis. Good luck.
[signature]
That section gets allot of pressure I see a 2 or 3 vehicles there almost every time Im out which is twice a week. Also seems they downgraded the area in Hoytsville from blue ribbon to no ribbon... not sure why but the blue ribbon sign is gone and no mention on the dwr site. It use to be I would catch 2 or 3 whities for every brown but as of lately its 2 or 3 fish total.

I did have some success on Friday evening 4 browns biggest one being about 20" all caught on a joe hopper as to my surprise only 1 white fish on a wd40.
[signature]
the middle weeb still has alot of big fish in it, just keep working that section and you will find them. if you find private land start networking, its what i have done and have gained access to several miles, heres an example on the last time i went:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_...ead#unread
[signature]
Im sure theres a few hogs in there even on public accessible water but the total number of fish are certainly down. This is a good thing thinning out those whities will give the browns more feed and more room to grow.

And with HB141 Im sure the number of people to hit the middle weeb has increased so no real surprise that the fishing in that section is not as good as once was. Kinda like the Provo there hogs in there but nothing compared to # of years ago
[signature]
141 really dident ruin alot of the middle weber. sure there is private land, but a large portion of the river has public access. like i said, if you go and ask, most of the time you can indeed get permission to private sections. not all, but alot.

oh yea, and i hope HB 141 burns in hell
[signature]
I agree with your there the middle weber has some real nice sections open to the public but most are not giving up the sport there just migrating to the spots that are open to the public like the middle weeb.

And If you think about it 100's of fly fisherman knocking on doors to access private land every weekend im sure these land owners are just not going to answer there doors after a while. [mad][crazy]
[signature]
Getting rid of the whitefish will get rid of the feed that makes the big browns big. The whitefish are important to have big browns.[Smile] Many people think they are doing a favor to the browns by getting rid of the whitefish (some even chuck them into the brush, that's illegal by the way) but they provide protein, and if there are fewer whitefish the big browns have to eat the little browns to get big. Big browns don't get big eating little flies and nymphs but eating bigger prey.
[signature]
You do have point but over population in any stream can devastate a stream look at the MP... There's lots of different sources of food in the weeb other than whities.
[signature]
I have to agree with you on that one. The weber is probably one of the most bio-diverse rivers we have here in Utah.

I was there the other night and watched a couple of browns right up against a weed bank just grabbing anything that went by. I saw them take hoppers, caddis, and PMDs that were coming off. And I am sure they were feeding under the surface on emergers, and probably worms washing out of the mud as the weed bank had just collapsed a short time earlier.

The big browns in the Weber will have plent of other sources of forage besides the white fish. But I do miss going and catching 30 - 40 whitefish some evenings!! Lets face it a 16 inch whitey is still fun to fight too!!
[signature]