Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
superline question
I was hoping to get some input on superlines. I have always been a mono guy, but am always looking to improve my fishing. My understanding with superlines, have no stretch in turn better strike detection, on the other hand fish might detect the resistance sooner. I was thinking about giving them a try on some jig fishing, both in vertical and casting applications maybe with a fluoro leader. Would you use same lbs as mono or because of the smaller diamater would you upsize? How is the castability? Any input would help, maybe save me a little trial and error. Thanks
[signature]
I started using fireline crystal this year and I love it. I do a lot of bass fishing and was using a 10lb mono but switched to a 14lb braided which is comparable in diameter to a 6lb mono and then a few feet of a 10lb florocarbon leader. Haven't had a break off in the braid yet, it has no memory (no line curling) it's SUPER abrasion resistant and has no stretch which is nice for when you have a lot of line out. You have to use a mono backer on most reels before you can tie on a braid and I use a uni-to-uni knot from my backer to my main line to my leader. If I could do it again I'd probably go with a 12lb braid just to get a bit more distance on my casts. After using it for a year I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking to up the quality of their fishing rig. hope that helps
[signature]
I have had mixed feelings about braided line. I like it because of its strength and have used it effecively to catch muskies and cats but I don't like it on smaller set ups when I fish for trout because it appears to be more boyant than mono so my lures and spinners aren't getting deep enough. Additionally, it doesn't slide through plastic bubbles very well when you want to fish on the bottom but avoid snags as the bubble snags up on ANY imperfection in the line.
[signature]
[#804000][size 2]Use FIRELINE CRYSTAL in 8 lb. test for the slimers with 4 or 6 lb. test leader.........You still have to spin a couple of layers of mono on the spool then tie it to the crystal to keep it from slipping.................Castability is great.........It runs through bubbles fine.........Then.........DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY![/size][/#804000]
[signature]
If you are putting the line on a small capacity spool you can stop it from spinning on the spool with a small drop of super glue . Just let the glue dry the tag end of your line to the spool dry completely before spooling the rest on . Curt G..
[signature]
Superlines or braided lines get the thumbs up from me haven't had any real big issues with them.

Ive been using Power pro for my trolling setups. Spider wire for my bass setup's and just recently I tried Cabelas ripcord ( it was on sale ) tough as nails no real issues yet.

I use to swear by Fluro but once I started getting serious about bassin I wanted a thin 20lb line that I could spool up without over spooling my reel. Since 20lb line braided line has the diameter of a 8 lbs fluor line it was the perfect fit.

The gripes I have with braided lines is:

1. Cutting of the line you almost want to carry a pair of small scissors with you since the braid is like thread you get these small strands of material that get in the way of threading your hooks.

2. knot tying again like thread its limpy [crazy]

3. After some use I see the dye they use to color the lines transferring to my reel and hands

As far as the line spinning on the spool albright knot with a small piece of masking tape.
[signature]
I use a 2lb. dia. 10 lb test superline braid almost exclusively for all but ice fishing for perch, 'gills & crappie. I just use a slip knot & small piece of tape to secure the first wrap of line on my spool. I got frustrated a couple times until my thick head figured that out.

Try it, you'll like it.
[signature]
Geezer,

What brand of superline are you using?
[signature]
Tape>superglue on the first wrap.
[signature]
Haven't been too fussy about the brand. Fireline or Spiderwire??????
[signature]