Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giant Carp (*update "Drum") caught at St. Francis River, Marked Tree today!
[#ff4040]*update: Wagdog has helped me identify my catch as a Freshwater Drum...[/#ff4040]

Hi everyone, I was fishing today in the St. Francis River today at the bridge in Marked Tree and landed this monster Carp. At least I think its a carp I've never seen a carp this big before, lol.

I was using some of the live Fresh water mussels from the bank on a circle hook with 12'' leader and slip weight in about 8 feet of water on a bend in the river just east of the bridge. Some nice 20lb+ Flathead Cat Fish have been hitting there lately. That's what I was fishing for!

There was another fisherman there with his son and his son's friend and this fish blew their minds. They said they had never seen a carp this big in Arkansas either.

Here's the Photo, sorry for the quality one of the kids there took this on his cell phone and emailed me the picture, haha.

[inline Photo-0058.jpg]
[signature]
I believe that is a freshwater drum. Some folks (including my Dad) call them a gasper goo. They like the snack on mussels.
[signature]
@wagdog

After reading your post and looking up images on google of drum and carp in Arkansas I have to agree. It didn't have the telltale "whiskers" of the carp and it had the suction type jaw on with the mouth almost facing downward.

Hard for me to know these type of fish because I hardly ever catch them. I almost always catch my Cat Fish or Bass that I target. It was the first time I had fished this particular spot on the St. Francis and I made some calls this morning and Drum are known to be caught in that area of the river, but not usually the size I hauled in.

Thanks for the heads up!
[signature]
It is definitely a good sized one. I know my Dad used to keep them and eat them. He says they are great. I've never actually eaten one.
[signature]
Here is why your dad used to call them "gasper goo".

The name "Gasper Goo" is an English mispronunciation of the French name "Casse burgau" (mussel breaker). Freshwater mussels are a favored prey item of this fish.

That explains it all!

lol, thanks bro.
[signature]
Sorry guys but that is NOT a drum. That is a buffallo carp I am not sure how big they get where you are but in texas I have seen them well over 40lbs.. I have yet to catch one but its on my list....
[signature]
OO,lol[Image: happy.gif]a "buffalo soldier" "sorry guys"
[signature]
Sweet fish you got there! Haha and I agree with whoever said that it was a drum.
[signature]
nice catch
[signature]