Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish help
I have finally learned how to catch catfish, but I can't figure out how to hold them so that i don't drop them or get my hand crushed(if you put your hand in their mouths). I used to be able to get away with just holding it by its tail very hard and just rest its head on my other hand, but now the catfish i have caught are much larger and much stronger....how should i hold them so that i don't hurt them or drop them so i can release them after?
[signature]
First, congratulations on the nice catches. Second, I've seen gloves used. I don't know myself, but I'm guessing that there are articles on the topic. Try "Doug Stange" (I hope I got the name right). I think he's written on the topic. He contributes to fishing publications.
[signature]
If they are less then 10 pounds you can grip them. Your thumb goes under one fin and the other fin goes between your first and second finger. the fished belly is in your palm. Here are some pictures. Ron
[signature]
Thanks for the help...that makes a lot more sense then the way I was trying to hold them.
[signature]
just one quick question....how do I handle a catfish larger than 10 pounds?
[signature]
With two hands! The biggest I have caught was 15 pounds. I supported his front and back. I only keep fish in the 3 to 5 pound range for eating. I release a lot of fish.
The bigger they are the easier it is to damage them since their bodies are not use to the weight out of water.
Here in Idaho the F&G claim that a 21" cat is in the 10 year old range. A 30" 15 pound cat is old.
Here we have sturgeon that we can not take out of the water. We just unhook them in the water and release them.
I have seen a lot of guys drag them on the bank and they get all muddy and nasty. I hate that! to me it is disrespectful to the fish. Cats are cool. Ron
[signature]
thanks, i grateful for the help, Ike
[signature]
If you hold it by the lip it will bite down on your finger. They have strong bites. The whiskers can't poke you and there is no antivenom on the belly, just more bacteria.

I don't remember if their gills are knives like perch, but they have spines on the first three sets of fins iirc.

For a small cat I slide my hand over it's head, 'petting' the first set of fins and the first top fin down and grip it thus.

I prefer not to handle them at all. Grab the shank of the hook with pliers close to the lip and twist, flip the fish back into the water or into your livewell or container. If it has swallowed the hook, just cut the leader.

I used to kind of squat-straddle the bigger fish and use both hands like in my first explanation, and have someone else take the hook out. Dangerous business
[signature]
Depending on where you are, a 10 lb fish might be the area's best breeding stock. Handle that kritter with a camara only. We call it CPR (catch, photograph, release). If 10 pounders are not that rare and are considered keepers in your area, I use one of those "lip grippers". They work pretty darn well. I also keep a relatively cheap leather work glove in the boat for those times when you just have to get more involved.
[signature]