Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakwater
Now that I have a workable computer I can pass on some hot fishing potentials. We have been catching big calicos by throwning fly-line sardines into the rocks.Some are so big they are impossible to pull out of their apartment. I had one boil on my dine that had to be in the over-ten pound class or I suspect, maybe a broomtail grouper. The boil was as big as a seal and wrapped my #30 pound around so many rocks I almost couldn't break the line, it took two of us to break it. We have special places on the breakwater that have bit over the years.The hot ticket is to find a kelpy spot and throw a dine right smack in the middle of it, put the reel in gear and hammer the drag. Oh yeh, don't forget to load your reel with at least #30 pound.
[signature]
i have heard lots of good things about fishing the break wall. lots of good sized calicos, halibut and sculpin! if you go down a little bit past the L.A. Light house. maybe 10 or so minutes there is a great spot over there for the sculpin.

joe
[signature]

Hi gvanzant,

Glad to have your 'voice' back. The 'Wall' must be fun to fish. It's too dangerous to go out on a tube but the kayak guys fish there with their little portable live bait thingy.

One site has reports of the 'Wall' and 'Pier J Area' regulars going out at night all the time.

In talking about the LA lighthouse, looking from and being inside the harbor, the rocks and kelp starting from the lighthouse and heading toward Cabrillo is loaded with fish. But how many 100's of boats pass by the spot every day!!!

I would be out there but... I refuse to support a private boat's addiction to draining my wallet. ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey George,

Need a Pinhead for a night??? hahaha,

seriously,

Aaron
[signature]
Taz: I fish the breakwater about twice a month. I like to anchor up very close to the rocks when the wind is right and throw live sardines so close that most of the time the dines bounce off a rock as I cast. There are other ways to do it though. Most of the anglers drift with the wind or the current and throw plastics into the rocks and most guys fish at night. Some guys troll plugs or live dines or small mackerel very close to the edge of the rocks. ( I have written about it in the Harbor fishing series found in "Georges Corner") A very popular fish that's biting now is the cabazon a very fine eating fish with blueish-green flesh.
[signature]
I didn't make it over there Sat but I will try tomorrow. I am going to hit outside of Seal Beach jetti and Newport too
[signature]