Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake mead 9-11 West 33 hole
[size 3][/size][size 2][/size][size 3][/size]Lake mead 9-11 West 33 hole

Beautiful day at the lake today. My family didn't want to go camping so I decided to sneak off and do a solo mission. Arrived at 33 Hole about 7am decided to park at the lot to the far left. Hiked towards old dry las vegas bay as I got a lilttle deeper down I saw a family of yotes take off towards the vegetation before old vegas bay good thing they didn't want trouble hehe I finally decided to settle on the last cove as far west of the boulder basin as possible kinda where the sm streams run into mead.

As soon as I settle I start seeing shad everywhere a few getting chased there was already a boat throwing for shad with success. I rig up a swim shad and start castin way out and retrieving steadily 15 mins of this I produced my first striper he fought like a champ. I was so exited I keep castin with no avail so then I decided to rig up 2 bait poles chovies on the bottom 5 mins later I was catching dink cats like crazy then outta nowhere my rod just gets hammered hard moving the rod holder, I grab the rod and let the sucker fight while adjusting the drag then I begin to reel in and this fish is hugging the bottom just keeped fighten n diving. A good 5 min fight later I land this nice mature catfish could of swore it was a big striper.

I eventually get tired of rigging chovies they were all thawed out and mushy by now so I chum the rest and begin tossin the swim shad again just keep castin and castin hooked up with 2 more nice stripers bout 20 mins apart it was 12 noon by now so I decide to hike back up and head home had a great time. The early morning was cool but then it got hot but is wasn't hellish. Few boats in and out the area some for shad some tossin lures saw 1 ski boat not too busy when coming into the park I saw bicycle race signs so there must be some kinda event goin on today. A nice peaceful 9/11 loved hooking into the stripers keeped 1 striper and the big cat. All pics from a camera phone enjoy until then. God Bless America
[signature]
Looks like a very nice day on the water. It seems as if the shad have moved back into the boulder basin area and its time for me to get back out there.
[signature]
Stripers are a bit on the thin side. Strange: sometimes they all come up thin, sometimes they're plump mere days apart.
[signature]
Looks like a good day on the water to me. Thanks for sharing. I never had much luck fishing the 33 hole from shore.
[signature]
Thanks guys[cool]
[signature]
Was passin through that side of town today and decided to put the annual pass to use. Headed down to 33 hole area with no rods or gear just a cast net and bucket. I was on a "bait mission" tossed around for a hour or two went home emptied handed and a sore arm[frown]
[signature]
I remember years ago when gypsum wash was full we would just motor through the wash (10-20 feet deep) and look for the large schools and start throwing. We always would get enough within an hour. This saturday, Ill motor around the wash again and see if I can find the larger shad.
[signature]
Last winter/early spring i was catching tons of shad from the pier at boulder harbor. I would only have to make 1 throw and i would have 50+ in my bucket. I imagine it would be a bit more difficult now that the fishing pier is gone.
[signature]
Yeah I use to have pretty good luck from shore, now seems a lil harder.
[signature]
33 hole 9/25

Went to my usual spot with a coworker. Arrived bout 1900 already dark we parked in the far left lot hiked down to the last cove. Both of us baited one pole with crawlers on bottom in the rod holder, fished the other with storm swim shads. We kept castin and castin moved around alot we continued that for another 3 hours to no avail[frown] caught 2 dink cats on the crawlers we were disappointed so we cut it short. Did see some fish activity just couldn't get any hookups. Sorry no pics until then.[fishin]
[signature]
Are the carp still spawning this time of year? When do they stop jumping out of the water? Do lures work in the dark?
[signature]
lvrider

In temperate zones spawning normally happens in spring. The activity I saw last night appeared to be bass chasing down shad sounded violent it was dark really couldn't say for sure. And yes lures do work at night caught em on various size shad swimbaits n bucktail jigs work well to always seems to be hit or miss at night.[cool]
[signature]