Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish fishing with clonk
Has anyone heard of clonk fishing? It's very popular in Europe but here in USA it's still a new fashion. I'm trying to make more people familiar with this technique because it is worth trying. If someone has heard of clonks please share your opinions. If you are from people who haven't heard but are interested in I can give our website where you can find a lot of info unless admins consider this as an advertisement. I'm glad to hear your opinions!
[signature]
what the heck is clonk fishing? its basics[cool]
[signature]
Could you eloborate? It might be possible that clonk is a new term for something else? Such as trotlining, jug fishing, limblining/ yo-yo fishing, snagging, noodling, chumming, bow fishing, netting, wading, or fly fishing?
[signature]
Its like a call you are "clonking " with a object making a splash.
[signature]
Now I know what you're talking (I think). That's for wels, right? Catfish in North America aren't like that. The wels is an apex predator, so it isn't afraid of anything. That'll just scare the catfish away in most places in America. You might call in a gator or two, depending where your at, but that's generally considered to be counter-effective.

Also, if there are other fishermen nearby, it is extroardinarily rude. Not only is it annoying, but it scares fish like bluegill, bass, walleye, and to my knowledge catfish away.

European fishing is just too different from North American fishing.
[signature]
The understanding it works only on wels catfish maybe comes from the fact that clonk was invented in Europe. Although it is used for wels in Europe we discovered it works on American catfish too. Actually this is not surprising because they are just different species from the same family and they have same instincts.
[signature]
Its definatly nothing I will ever try thats for sure[fishin]
[signature]
Yeah, but even if does work, it just seems rude if there are other anglers nearby.
[signature]
[quote klahon]The understanding it works only on wels catfish maybe comes from the fact that clonk was invented in Europe. Although it is used for wels in Europe we discovered it works on American catfish too. Actually this is not surprising because they are just different species from the same family and they have same instincts.[/quote]

But what type of catfish does it attract? I would think that it would only work on large flatheads and blues. Even then, my guess is that it wouldn't work in areas with alligators, because the fish would have to either compete with the gators, or, more likely, have to consider the risk that the splashing is either a gator or that it would attract one.

I don't see it working on channel catfish because they aren't top predators anywhere. A splashing noise to them could be a threat, such as a heron, egret, osprey, eagle, commarant, snapping turtle (though snappers don't splash), a larger fish (such as a Muskie, pike, gar), or even a mammal such as a bear, otter, fisher, raccoon, bobcat, cougar, anything, really.

I will be surprised if it works in areas with those listed predators.
[signature]