Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry And Powell in one Trip?????
Yup... That's what I did...the Berry and Powell in one weekend trip. [fishin] ... I was asked by Brent to help him with a Boy Scout crawdad boil up at Strawberry on Friday. So we headed up to get the traps set and the corn & potatoes in the pot ahead of the 20 or so rambunctious Boy Scouts soon to arrive that evening. Arriving just after noon, we headed over to the Soldier Creek Marina to dump the traps and while waiting for the mudbugs, we set out to get in some fishing. It was colder than expected...especially since I was primed for Powell weather...

We moved into the moss beds...with high expectations...and we were not disappointed. We caught cutthroats up to 24 inches, rainbows to about 13 inches and one kochanee. Altogether we caught about 30 fish...all still swimming in the lake...and we were off the water by 5 PM. The traps were loaded by then.

All of the bigger cutthroats came out of 15 ft or less water. The rainbows and kochanee's were deeper.

I hoped to be finished with the crayfish boil and on our way by 9 PM...but we were done by 8.

[inline DSC05527.JPG]
Now...never trust someone else;s memory where a shortcut is concerned...especially when you're anxious for red rock and striper boils. Hitting Duschene...is this the road we want? I asked Brent. No...it's outside of town was the reply...NOT!!!! After a 40 minute sidebar we finally in a round about way got on highway 191 heading south toward Price. It's a beautiful drive...through the mountains...that is if you could see it. All we saw were headlights and highway.

Finally arrived at Bullfrog about 1:30 AM. Have any of you ever noticed the rock Bullfrog before you arrive. Try to see it in the daylight sometime. We crashed on the boat at in the Bullfrog parking lot. At 7 AM after the decontamination clearance...we were on the water heading south heading toward the San Juan.

Now...don't know much about it, but heard it...haven't checked it out on Snopes.com if it's true. But it's said those pesky zebra mussels being filter feeders can't live in turbulent sediment laden water. It smothers them. Rivers such as the Colorado, Mississippi, and Utah Lake have heavy sediment...in other words muddy. If such is true, there's a good chance they wouldn't ever have mussels because of the sediment...but I digress. Back to the fishing.

We found a few boils...but to our disappointment they weren't Stripers. We caught lots and lots of smallmouth, Largemouth, crappie, bluegill, sunfish and even catfish in and around all of the boils, but never found a Striper. Average catch was around 100 fish per day. I hooked one really big fish...it felt like a big catfish by the fight...but never got to see it. Smallies ranged up to 17 inches. The Bluegill in the picture was caught on a bare hook dangling in the water. Go figure.

The only Striper we saw was on someone else's stringer...and we talked to around 10 other boats who were all skunked. The skuttlebutt was no Stripers south of Bullfrog. The word on the water was Stripers galore from Bullfrog north.

Up the San Juan we usually see wild donkey's. This trip we actually saw some wild horses. They were in poor shape...but eating some of the salt cedar around the shores.

Weekend accomplished! [fishin]
[signature]
I don't see many pictures of you holding trout. Looks like a fun day full of slimers though
[signature]
Where is the Powell report!![cool][Tongue]
[signature]
You caught me before I was finished getting the pictures and the rest of the story pictures...so I had to try to edit, and it still didn't come out the way I wanted it too, but pictures are there...Try again FOD.
[signature]
I don't handle trout much because they're hard to hold and very slimy and I can't lip them for photos. But I did get some posted for your enjoyment.
[signature]
Cool pics and story. I will be headed down the 25th. Probably staying in bullfrog and fishing for 4 days...... ah finally. Thanks
[signature]
Beautiful pictures Cliff. Maybe you didn find the stripers but the scenery is fantasitc. Great views, a few fish hard to beat. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Rods,
Thanks for the post. Great post and pics. Haven't fished lake powell yet but I keep my hopes up after posts like this and other stories.
[signature]
Great scenery and 100+ fish per day is hard to find at any lake..
[signature]