Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder for my pontoon?
I have an older model Bucks Bags 8ft pontoon boat and keep contemplating adding a fish finder to it. My toon doesn't have the steel plate behind the seat or any type or motor mount. Just wondering what brand/models of fish finders would work on my toon. I'd like something mid-grade I can permanently mount. Where is the best place to attach a unit, the transducer, and the battery. I know this is complicated but I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Justin
[signature]
The fishing budy is very versatile. It comes with a hard mount for the boat and works great ice fishing as well. I bought a strap holder from Sportsmans that fits both my toon and float tube. Depending on your $$ situation I think they have 2 models. I would recomend the more spendy one but even at that I think it's only like $150.00 or so. Good luck!!!
[signature]
You should check out the Float Tube forum. There are pics by TubeDude and others showing what sonars they use and how they are mounted on various tubes/toons. Personally I have a Humminbird 565. It works great for me.
[signature]
I agree with wagdog, the 565 is the way to go... i have one on my tube....
[signature]
I looked for the 565 model, but mostly find the 570. Does anyone know if the 570 replaces the 565? And, does this model come with a mounting bracket/parts to mount to my pontoon somehow or would I need additional parts?

Thanks again,

Justin
[signature]
the 570 is this years model of the 565 just new and improved. Yes it does come with a mounting bracket but some minor modifications will be needed to meet the requirements of your toon. the man to ask would be tubedude. He is a master in tube and toon modifications. He is always happy to help out fellow tube and tooners.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yes, the 570 is the updated version of the discontinued 565.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It comes with a mounting base but it must be modified to mount on a tube or toon...to conform to the design of your ride. They are all different.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are some pics of a modular "strap-on" adaptor you can whip together to hold both the sonar display and the transducer shaft. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you would like some help you can swing by my Tubeatorium in Salt Lake with your toon and your new sonar. I can help you get it set up...and putting the base and wiring together for the first time can be "interesting". I have done several now.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Shoot me a PM and I can give you my address and directions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You're a a genius Tubedude. I might just have to come down if I get money to buy a finder. Do you have any recommendations for fish finder brands/models? I once owned a Garmin for ice fishing and really like it. How do the Garmin/Humminbird/Lowrance models compare?

Thanks
[signature]
I used the Humminbird 565 (replaced by the new 570) on my toon. Here are some pics on how I mounted it. I used a piece of plastic cutting board cut to the size of the base and then screwed on a 1/2 inch T that had been cut down. This made it easier to attach to 1/2 inch PVC attached to the toon frame. The way I attached it is with Saddle clamps that I got out of the sprinkler section at lowes. They come in 1/2" and 3/4" sizes. I used the 3/4" x 1/2". I then screwed a piece of PVC into the 1/2" threaded part and then attached a 1/2" piece that is not glued down for swivel movement which works quite well.
For the transducer I attached another cut down half of a Cross or T with hose clamps and then attached the tansdeucer to a 1/2" PVC T screwed to a lenght of 1/2" PVC. The elbow section is not glued to the toon section so that I can swivel it up out of the water.

Now for the rack on the back, I have a leigh striker so I did not have anyway of adding a battery let alone a motor. So I took 1" PVC and purchased an outcast motor mount. Attached the outcast mount to the pvc and made a nice rack that can hold a battery and extra rods and anything else I need. Hope this helps.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You really don't need all the bells and whistles on a sonar for your toon or tube. But, you usually DO get what you pay for. Cheap things aren't usually good and good things usually ain't cheap.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With sonar it is about power. The higher the wattage the more detail and accuracy you get in the readout. But you don't have to have all the power you would get for fishing deep lakes or ocean waters. Most of the best "floatation" sonars will be under $200 and at least 1500 to 2000 watts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Cone angle is important too. You need at least a 20 degree cone. The dual cone feature of the 570, with a 60 degree second cone, is very helpful when fishing the shallow waters common to tube and toon fishing. A 20 degree cone shows a "footprint" of about 1/3 the depth...or a circle about 5 feet wide on the bottom in 15 feet of water. The 60 degree cone is 3 times as wide. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You don't need a speed guage, but having temp readings are very helpful. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been using the Humminbird 565 for over a year and find it to be everything I need in a sonar for tubing. I have tried just about all brands, but not all models. For several years I used the Eagle Cudas. Adequate for some needs but subject to great inaccuracy in displaying fish signals.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After that, decide what features are important to you and don't just buy either for price or for "foo foo". Wise to check a few and ask for feedback from those who own them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Welcome to the site Kevin. Please take the time to read the FAQ above, you are not allowed to post links until you have made 15 post. In most cases we don't worry too much about a new guy posting a link but you have made four in a row and from all appearances you look like you are posting ads for BassPro or you really like BassPro[Wink]. Thanks for understanding and following our rules.
WH2
[signature]