Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Pike
Has anyone ever fished for northern pike with a fly rod? if so, would a 9wt handle a large pike? I am trying to buy an all purpose rod for bonefish, salmon and pike. Any help on what to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you - Dave
[signature]
I caught a 42 pound carp on a number 8, I would say that it depends on the skill of the angler and his willingness to take the time to play his fish.
[signature]
If Pike are anything like Tiger Musky, then I would say an 8 would do it. Tigers are big and fast, but they run a couple of times then they are done.

Like Clown said, you can land big fish with anything, the question is do you want to and is it legal to keep the fish if you play it long time. Even if the fish swims away, doesn't mean you didn't kill it if you play them to exhaustion.
[signature]
an 8 weight is the way to go. i fish for them in southern CO all the time. just be ready to be flexible. in ym limited experiance i have found pike to be picky some imes. when conditions change i switch from floating, to full sink, then to intermediate sink just to try to stay on the bite
[signature]
[center][font "Century Gothic"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]All too true. BTW Dave what [/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Century Gothic"][#008000]wt rod and fly were you using?[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
dont know how I missed this,

I have two,

an 8# for most everything and a 12# for salmon
[signature]