Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair rig for catfishing?
Would anyone recommend a hair rig for catfish? Do they feed the same way as carp; as in sucking the bait in?
[signature]
I don't know much about hair rigs, but catfish are not like carp. Catfish might eat anything they can find, but they are notoriously finicky. They peck at the bait two or three times before the decide to swallow it.
[signature]
[font "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#999999][size 2][#000000]The most common bait to be used on most commercial fisheries at the moment is the Halibut pellet. The pellets come in various sizes and are best fished with a few large pellets on a hair rig over a bed of smaller pellets. [/#000000][/size][/#999999][/font]
[signature]
The hair rig is not really necessary. Cats are not really finnicky but they will "taste" the bait sometimes. What they are doing is bumping the bait off the bottom and touching it with their mouths. I suppose there are certain situations where such an extreme finnesse presentation would work but for the most part you want a LARGE piece of bait out there. Hair rigs don't really lend themselves to large bait. Of more importance would be the freshness of the bait.
[signature]
I've caught numerous blues n channel on maize on a hair rig. Also on crawfish boilies n tutti-frutti n scopex boilies. All fish pretty much feed by opening their mouths to create a suction in a sense inhaling the bait. The hair rig and it's exposed hook makes it much easier to get a partial hook hold then when the fish starts running trying to dislodge the hook and weight you just set the hook. The weirdest catch was a 50lb blue on a single piece of artificial maize fished over a small bed of ground up rabbit pellet and birdseed. Hope this helped
[signature]