Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bacon Grease Bait
I tried using frozen grease for bait. It was tough to keep on, but it stayed on for a long time in the water. I didn't catch anything (but it was an all-around slow fishing day, so I don't know if the bait was really the problem), but I noticed all of the minnows in the area where I castes frenzied over it. Anyone ever tried this and been succesful?
[signature]
[quote gxtmfa]I tried using frozen grease for bait. It was tough to keep on, but it stayed on for a long time in the water. I didn't catch anything (but it was an all-around slow fishing day, so I don't know if the bait was really the problem), but I noticed all of the minnows in the area where I castes frenzied over it. Anyone ever tried this and been succesful?[/quote]

never tried bacon grease but wouldnt be surprised if ya caught a kitty[cool]
[signature]
I think the only problem with it is that a cat can pull the whole piece of grease of the hook with one bite. It's odd; I tried using it like doughbait on a doughbait/ dipbait treble hook, but that was actually worse than hooking it through a normal j-hook. It might work better like a tube-bait, in that the hooks for those have pouches to put the bait in. It dissolves perfectly- the oils can be seen dispersing, but the fat stays on for a long time. It might have to do with certain nutrients being fat or water soluble. I'm going to hit the books to see if this line one reasoning can help me add something that will help it stay on the hook.
[signature]
A little bit of research and interpretation-

Bacon grease is high in fat content (obviously)

fat won't dissolve in water, so what stays on the hook is fat/ lard, and the rest slowly dissolves in the water (this will look like soap in the water, without bubbles)

This disperses pieces of fat that are inbetween water-soluble parts of the grease, but the main "chunk" of grease on the hook won't dissolve.

The lowest melting point of the 3 main types of lard is about 86 Fahrenheit. I suppose this means the grease is best-suited for colder days.

- I don't know if this will help. I've never caught anything with lard before, but the 3 times I tried it I also used other baits that had worked in the past and none of those worked either (the other baits were crayfish, mussel [which yielded bites from panfish], frog [cut bait], and hotdog). Things made from fat, especially certain types of soap, are known to work, so it would stand to reason that lard/ frozen grease would as well.
[signature]