Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob Question
Whats the difference between Rio Grand & Rio Gold. And what would be better for a 9' 6wt Sage VT2 ?
[signature]
I have had this talk with my Hubby on many occasions. The Rio Grande is 1/2 size heavier at the front to help load.
Gold is more a long belly for easy mending, roll casting, etc.
[signature]
What FG said! I use Rio Grand on my Helios 5wt and I LOVE it!
[signature]
If there is a way to go to a shop and cast each line on your rod, that would be the best way to find out. I have Grand on my GL3. But I've casted the Gold on both a Helios and Sage Launch. I liked the Gold better....but it's tough to tell for sure because they were cast on different rods.
[signature]
And I have the Gold and I am not impressed, so I agree, try if you can. I have the gold and TS30 has Grande....lets meet up and play with each others lines...LOL
I also have Selective Trout, Accelerator, Ridgeline, Sharkshin in Trout and GPX, Windcutter II, Rio Glow in the Dark, Orvis Long Belly, Orvis, Superfine, and Sylk....I think that is it......[crazy]
[signature]
I have that very rod and have used it for 4 years now. I do not think it calls for the heavier weight of the Rio Grand (I do have a Grand on a faster 7-weight). I fish it with a standard weight forward. I think it's an SA Ultra on there. Between the Grand and the Gold for that rod, I would go for the Gold.

Had it out just this past weekend, as a matter of fact.
[signature]
I was leaning more toward rio grand but then I read SA going to be coming out with a new series of lines similar to the sharkskin lines only these lines have dimples like golf ball dimples.

I guess people have been complaining that at high speeds sharkskin lines have been burning them ???

hmmm choices [Smile][Wink]
[signature]
I hear that ......story .....as well. Guessing most is speculation though.
I recently fished for 8 days straight with big fish and big runs not to mention several casts and stripping.
Okay, my holding finger got a little raw, but it was from regular sinking line. That happens when a line gets wet.
I don't know, maybe people that complain about Shark Skin burning have never felt that with another line....it's that good!
[signature]
ive gottewn burned between the first set of knuckles on my stripping finger from the SA line. i equal it to sex its that good!
[signature]
Burn good sex... Hmm Koch you weren't the guy in the commercial rowing that canoe were you ?
[signature]
So what do you guys think about overloading the rod ? Was maybe think about putting 6wt line on my 5wt and getting getting 7 wt for 6 ?
[signature]
I would ask why? I have overloaded sinking before but it is a much smaller diameter.
Maybe to slow a fast action rod down?
[signature]
No reason just food for thought. Maybe with the heavier line you could get longer cast with a heavier front end ...
[signature]
Makes sense, but like I said, larger diameter too (floating line that is)
That is why I like the GPX and the Grand. Of course Windcutter is the opposite, but it is great in the wind and large flies class.
[signature]
The 6-weight VT2 is NOT that fast of a rod. That is why I suggested you not go with the Rio Grand--I see no need for the half size heavier line.

This rod does not cry out to be overloaded.

I could name you others that do....
[signature]
Absolutely.

But I like that 1/2 size and I do fish full flex, but I prefer to roll cast over any other style.
[signature]
The Grande is like they say 1/2 weight heavier- it's made for very fast rods- TCR, NRX, GLX among others.
If you want to know exactly what your rod weight is check this out. It's the Common Cents System. Very informative and logical. Simple to do. DO NOT DELETE THIS URL- IT'S NOT A FISHING FORUM
http://www.common-cents.info/
[signature]
I have a super fast action 7 wt Loomis. Got it years ago from their blem selection at the factory on a salmon trip. It was a blem because of how stiff the rod is.

I have to overload it with 8 weight line, or I can't cast it, cause I tend to have a slower cast. Younger brother can throw a 7 weight line with it as far as he wants because he tends to be a fast caster, but it is MY rod.

The stiff action make it so you can feel ANY little bump. I feel my sinkers dragging the gravel, and I KNOW when a fish has picked it up.

But I would not over load any of my other rods because none of them have nearly as stiff an action.

Just my thoughts on it.
[signature]