Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Cast Last Cast
Pine View....Time 7:30 AM or a few minutes after the crack of dawn. Air temp 37 degrees. Water temp holding at 64.
Launched the boat...pulled to the docks....waited for Jerry to park the truck. Rigging among the funny plastic boat slips and I dropped my rig over the side of the boat. Wham....nice 17 inch smallie. Turns out that was the biggest fish of the day on Pine View. What looked to be a banner day...forgetting it was a full moon out there...we started fishing points. We wound up practicing our casting with a few egg sack and eyeball sized fish here and there. Mystery cove was having a meeting so we hung around and managed to coax in about 20 fish between us. No biggies...so about 1 PM we decided to go find more fertile waters. We headed for home....sort of... In a roundabout way East Canyon is on the way home...so I keep telling my wife...

East Canyon... Afternoon....3 PM. Air temp 79 degrees. Water temp 63. Colder than Pine View...

The water is lower than I've ever fished it, so it's like fishing a brand new lake. Off we went on a scouting expedition...fishing several types of lures...nada...nihil...nothing. No bites at all... We kept searching with the expectation of finding the mother lode...

Down by the dam...after scouring the banks, fishing all water depths and structure and finally located some pockets holding fish anywhere from 5" to 12"...and the 5" is being generous. Jerry rose to the occasion with the smallest of the day...
Exhausted and tired of dinks...being close to sunset....we headed for the boat ramp...

Jerry headed for the truck...and I just had to give it the one last cast of the day...and Wham!!! A nice fat 19 1/4" smallie weighing in at 5 lb 2 oz...for a finality of the biggest fish of the day and the biggest smallmouth I've caught at East Canyon in 3 years...

One last sighting as we headed home...a very respectable Bull Elk posed for us along the side of the road...

Not too bad of a day all in all...about 60 fish divided by 2...

[signature]
That's a nice Bass. Been a long time on the forum since I've seen one that big coming out of East Canyon.

Oh, I hope you told that Bull to "wait right there", I need to talk to him in a couple weeks[cool]
[signature]
I put salt on his tail for you, he will be right their just for you...[Wink][Wink]

I got a good look at him, long tines shortest looked about 14" the top one all others about 18 to 24" and five by five it looked to be around 270 to 300 B&C..
[signature]
[#000050]PBH -- your replies to bassrods have reached the point that they are nothing more than harassment. Give it a rest.[/#000050]
[signature]
There ya go giving him a hard time again!

You must have missed his second post:

Quote:I got a good look at him, long tines shortest looked about 14" the top one all others about 18 to 24" and five by five it looked to be around 270 to 300 B&C..
I'd say that's pretty accurate detail I don't talk bull, so I don't get it all. I know the " is not a metric measure, but I couldn't tell ya what system B&C represent.

Nice pix Cliff. Glad you brought the camera this time. Looks like some fun bass - at least they kept you busy. I'd ask what you were using, but you probably wouldn't say [cool]
Two lakes, one day. Nice.
"On the way home" is a completely subjective thing. Porcupine would have been "on my way home" had I made it to Pineview last Sunday.

PBH - I think kids get fractions ok, just don't practice metrics. You might get a blank stare if you ask for a 7/8" wrench, but you tell them there's a 1/2 hour until lunch - and they know WHAT you're talking about! Garonteee.
That's a nice lookin bass! Way to stick with it! I always try for that "last cast" if I have the chance. You're proof that it can work1
[signature]
This is not in reply to you but a PM by another person on the board...

I was sent a PM in witch I was ask about putting your boat on more then one lake in one day or a week...

To do this you need to talk to the checker at the lake you go to (both lakes) and they may clean your boat or just let you go if none of the lakes are on the watch list..
[signature]