Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a difference
Lately I am getting allot of request for flies. But not just from fly fishers, but from spinners.

Is there a difference in flies for the fly fishers and the spinners using a bubble or maybe some split shot to help get them out there.

On the other forums I see some flies tied by spin fishermen and while I am sure they catch fish, they are not what you would see if a fly fishers box.

So, lets hear from you all. I wanna make sure I am making the flies right for the spinners.
[signature]
what do the flies they are asking for look like..

remember when I started I was doing bubble fly rigs.. but I used flies.. not a spinner fly?? ... never caught anything but had a good time trying.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I am guessing pretty much all flies can be put on spinning with the exception of dries (because the line must float and hard to cast something that weighs nothing out)
Now my sister in-law fishes Chironomids with spinning gear and a slip indicator.

How small of fly can you fish with a spinning outfit?

I figured you could help on this one Mac.
[signature]
actually I did fish a dry on the spinner with the bubble fly... key was long leader.. if memory serves me it was a size 14 royal coachman dry...

I fished bugger, nymphs and a few streamers on the bubble fly combo.. the smallest I remember fishing was a 14 but that does not mean you could not go smaller..

this may be an aside to your original question but the problem I alwasy found with this combination was the bubble splashing in the water.. I know it scared some fish away... and I tried small and medium bubbles but all with the same problem ..

hope this is what you were looking for.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]I don't think that there is a special group of flies for the spinners. Although some are prone to go with a tube fly. If I was to digress to spin fishing and use a fly, I'm sure that any one of the flies in my arsenal would work. But that is just my humble opinion.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks Guys. One of the people is a BFTer that wants to make the transition to Fly Fishing but the economy and family come first, so I am giving him a large assortment.

The problem I see with a dry is as Mac said, the bubble splashing, but also the line BEHIND the bubble wants to sink as well unless you play it short. You can greaser up the line to the fly.

I tried using a reel loaded with mono for my deep nymphing figuring I could go any depth that way. But like I said, the line from rod tip to bubble sank as well. Makes it tuff to set hooks.

I agree Dry Rod that most the spinner flies I have seen are of the Tube shape...woolly buggers. But allot use Nymphs as well.
[signature]
If the bubble is "set" correctly you are suppose to be able "feed" the line thru the bubble and let the fly sink or float naturally.. but as you said sis the line from the bubble to the rod will sink and gives a very "loose" feel to any control you may have..

Now, on the flies designed to sink like a bugger or nymph it will "pull" the slack line thru the bubble but in most cases it does it slowly.. sometimes too slowly.. and in that case a small split shot will help.. but again the slack line on the rod side can cause problems with control and feel..

Is it a good alternative to fly fishing with a fly rod.. yes.. it will at least get the person using various flies under various conditions..

again. hope this helps sis...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
very much Mac. I didn't realize the line was sliding through the bubble.
[signature]
it does.. but it can get stuck etc.. not very smooth.. but it is an alternative of sorts... :-)

MacFly
[signature]
I've been doing a lot of "fly fishing" with one version or another of a bubble on a spinning rod until I (hopefully) get a fly rod for Christmas.

The other day I was using nymphs on a bobber w/ split shot and I was having a heck of a time setting the hook. Several bites, only set with one. There is a lot of slack.

Also, yesterday I went to the Middle fork of the Boise and tried some fishing with a larger bobber so I could get out to where I wanted to be. There were some SPECTACULAR pieces of river where I got absolutely nothing. This could be because the river was high from rain, or my own ineptitude with presentation or fly choice, but I think I should have picked up SOMETHING in the wonderful looking places I was. I suspect that the splash of the bobber did very little to help me.

If you were curious, I tried several different flies, but spent the most time with a Copper John or something my dad had tied that he called a Zug bug. Again, I'm very new to this but I'm pretty sure the Zug bug would have been an attractor pattern as I've NEVER seen anything that looked like that fly.
[signature]
[quote ditchbanker]I've been doing a lot of "fly fishing" with one version or another of a bubble on a spinning rod until I (hopefully) get a fly rod for Christmas.

The other day I was using nymphs on a bobber w/ split shot and I was having a heck of a time setting the hook. Several bites, only set with one. There is a lot of slack.

Also, yesterday I went to the Middle fork of the Boise and tried some fishing with a larger bobber so I could get out to where I wanted to be. There were some SPECTACULAR pieces of river where I got absolutely nothing. This could be because the river was high from rain, or my own ineptitude with presentation or fly choice, but I think I should have picked up SOMETHING in the wonderful looking places I was. I suspect that the splash of the bobber did very little to help me.

If you were curious, I tried several different flies, but spent the most time with a Copper John or something my dad had tied that he called a Zug bug. Again, I'm very new to this but I'm pretty sure the Zug bug would have been an attractor pattern as I've NEVER seen anything that looked like that fly.[/quote]

You have been "Fishing a Fly" There is a difference...LOL
Fly fishing to me is the whole thing. A Fly Rod, Fly Line, Fly Reel, leader and of course fly.
But sounds like you are on the right track.

I know several people that KILL with the bubble on a spinning rod.
Fly fishing we use indicators (bobbers) and while sometimes the slap o the water will scare the other times they won't notice or don't care.
Then other times, it wakes them up and they hit the indicator.
I know mouse patterns work the best if you SLAP them on the water.

My guess is you weren't in the right ZONE for the fish. They will look up to a point, but they don't look down.

I would like to say at this point because you brought this post back to life.
Make sure you are will to put out the time to fly fish if that is what you want to do. It is not just slapping the fly out there, or trolling it. Or even just waving the fly in the air.
It is roll cast, Haul, Double Haul, side arm, dead stop...etc.
It does require the education and time IF you want to learn .
Or you can just go fish with it and occasionally catch fish, but you will be going back to the spinning outfit because you can't get the fly out there around that tree or because there is a mountain or tree behind you.

Fly Fishing isn't the "COOL" thing to do, it's just a fishing style/choice and it takes time...but that is my favorite part of it[laugh]

As far as flies, I hear you on the what the heck do they look like, but got to remember, the fish likely don't see the same thing we do.
A Renegade is suppose to be a snail. [crazy]

Keep posting reports on the Boise though. Some BIG fish have come out of there.
[signature]
there is no way a renegade looks like a snail... LOL... but I have caught fish on it near reed beds (where snails would be sliming up and down the reed).. so guess the fish see it a different way.. :-)..

as for the slapping noise on a bubble/fly rig compared to a popper or frog pattern.. even a mouse pattern.. on the bubble fly it is a loud plunk in the water.. which I would think scares more than anything else... plus most anglers will let it sit like the bobber it is and unless the fly itself is doing some moving thats about all you are gonna get.. a slow to dead drift...

a popper or mouse even though they make that splash.. the angler usually tries to imitate a frog or mouse in the water by light tugs on the line... or a slow intermittent retrieve... so the fish hears/sees the first splash and then also feels/sees the fly moving it what it considers it to be a more natural movement...

at least that has been my experience with the bubble/fly.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
my sis (FG) makes a very good point (as usual)... the fly has to be in the zone...

when I was first doing bubble fly Id cast then let things drift with the movement of the bubble itself.. never caught a fish (did have nibbles)... if I were you and you are using split shot to weigh down the fly you might want to try a couple of things..

one.. take off the split shot.. let the fly sink at it own rate.. or if its not a weighted fly let it drift.. most will go just under the surface of the water.. and that is a good zone of top feeding fish...

depending on how you have the line rigged.. you can set a depth on the fly... there are little red stoppers that you can buy that you slide up the line to set the depth... if you use this rig you would pull the slack out till you see the bubble move.. keep the tension on the line there.. that way your fly is at a set depth (on a sinking fly).. you can easily adjust the depth of the fly by adjusting the stopper on the line...

if you use a popper or mouse pattern.. imitate what it is suppose to be.. and that is a frog or mouse swimming on the water.. fast or slow retrieves... vary it.. if there is top water action the fish will see that as a more natural movement...

hope this helps..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
just for clarification on what I said before.. the "stopper" on the line is called a [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_23166_100010003_100000000_100010000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT"]carolina keeper.. [/url]

also.. if you want to set a more "static" depth as I suggested put a keeper above and below the bubble with an inch or so space so you can still adjust the amount of water in the bubble..

another good thing about using the keeper is it eliminates the need for a swivel and bead in conjunction with the bubble...

[center][inline bubble1.gif]

where it says tube pearl that is usually a small plastic bead to stop the bubble from getting stuck on the swivel..

in using a keeper as I have suggest the swivel is deleted and the bead becomes the keeper.. and as I said Id suggest a keeper a few inches above (rod side) of the bubble ....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]