Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interest in BFT Idaho Ice Fishing Contest
I have been thinking about this for some time and I am wondering how many people would be interested in an online ice fishing contest this year?

The first year I would like to limit this to twenty contestants so that I don't have to deal with tournament permits and such. Then if it goes well we could make it bigger in the future.

I would like to have rules similiar to those on the Utah board. They have been doing this for years and their system seems to work well. If it aint broke why fix it?

Here are some suggested rules from the Utah board adjusted to fit Idaho rules.

[size 1][font "Verdana"]Due to state law we can only have [#bf0000]20[/#bf0000] people enter for this type of contest. The contest will start as soon as there is ice and will go until the April 20th.

[#008000][#008000][#008000]1. There will be a $10 entree fee (That should give us around $200 for prize money). [/#008000][/#008000][/#008000][/font][/size][font "Verdana"][size 1][size 1]
[/size][/size][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1]2. Must be a registered member of BFT to enter.[/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Verdana"][size 1][size 1]
[/size][/size][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1]3. Points will be awarded by the half inch.[/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Verdana"][size 1][size 1]
[/size][/size][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1]4. Must have a picture with the fish on the ground next to the tape, the BFT logo with the year 2010-2011 and you. [#000000](You may use a picture of yourself on the ground next to the fish as their isn't always someone to help take the picture.) [/#000000]Pictures of fish in the air next to a tape will not count for points. All pictures must be taken at the lake.[/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][size 1][size 1] [/size][/size][/font]
[#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1]5. Points will be awarded for up to eight fish.[/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][font "Verdana"][size 1][size 1]
[/size][/size][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1]6. Three fish must come from the following list. ([/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][size 1][size 1]Black Crappie, Yellow Perch, Bluegill/Green Sunfish pictures too hard to seperate, Bullhead Catfish, White Bass[/size][/size][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1])[/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Verdana"][size 1][size 1]
[/size][/size][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1][#008000][size 1]7. The other five can come from the Native or Nonnative sport fish as classified in the Idaho Fishing Guide.[/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Verdana"][size 1][size 1] [/size][/size][/font]
[font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1]8. Cuttbows will be classified as a Cutthroat.[/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Verdana"][size 1][font "Verdana"][size 1]
[/size][/font][/size][/font][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1]9. Idaho waters only. Reciprocal lakes count as Idaho waters.[/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Verdana"][size 1][font "Verdana"][size 1]
[/size][/font][/size][/font][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1]10. You must post your own fish for it to get credit. Please post your photos in JPEG format.[/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Verdana"][size 1][font "Verdana"][size 1]
[/size][/font][/size][/font][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1]11. Posts must include type of fish, date caught, name of lake, and length of fish[/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][size 1].[/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/font][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Verdana"][size 1][font "Verdana"][size 1] [/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font "Verdana"][size 1][font "Verdana"][size 1]

There will be a First, Second and Third place prize for total points. Any and all ties will be broken by the largest fish posted. No split pots. Also this years winner will have their entry fee next year waved as the defending champ. [/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font "Verdana"][size 1][font "Verdana"][size 1]
If you catch a say a larger Perch but have one posted already no problem. Post the new perch and your points will be adjusted. You don't get both but the larger one will be the one counted. [/size][/font][/size][/font][font "Verdana"][size 1][font "Verdana"][size 1]

[/size][/font][/size][/font][font "Verdana"][#ff0000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#ff0000][size 1][font "Verdana"][#ff0000][size 1]Please[/size][/#ff0000][/font][/size][/#ff0000][/font][/size][/#ff0000][/font][font "Verdana"][size 1][font "Verdana"][size 1] check your pictures on the lake of the fish if you can. If it moved and doesn't show the full length of the fish I'm sorry but I go with what show's up in the picture. Points are based on the photos. No limit on size of photos this year but please don't abuse this.[/size][/font][/size][/font]

So who is interesed? Any other suggestions as to rules?

I will try to get the administrators to set us up with an ice fishing contest board like Utah has so that we can make each contestant their own thread.

Thanks

Windriver
[font "Verdana"][size 1][/size][/font]
[signature]
I like the idea, but I can see that there would be several ways for people to cheat (where there's a will there's a way).

I'm not sure I understand the 3 species rule (#6). I can tell you right now, all I ever get through the ice are trout (varying species), an occasional salmon (when fishing on Cascade) and perch. I've never caught [font "Verdana"][size 1]Black Crappie, Bluegill/Green Sunfish, Bullhead Catfish, or White Bass [size 3]through the ice. [/size][/size][/font]
[font "Verdana"][size 1][size 3][/size][/size][/font]
[font "Verdana"][size 1][size 3]If there isn't someone to help take the picture, then how do you [/size][size 1][#008000] [/#008000][#000000](You may use a picture of yourself on the ground next to the fish as their isn't always someone to help take the picture.)[size 3]?[/size][/#000000][/size][/size][/font]
[font "Verdana"][size 1][size 3][/size][/size][/font]
[font "Verdana"][size 1][size 3]Other than these two issues, it sounds like a good idea.[/size]

[/size][/font]
[signature]
We can change the species to something more suitable for Idaho. The three panfish species make it more difficult. There are only a few lakes that freeze that have crappie or bluegill.

Maybe we could go with three biggest perch or other panfish?

The picture is very simple. If you participate in the contest you take a picture of your self. Most people put them in a plastic bag. Then when you catch the fish you lay the fish by the measuring tape with your picture and BFT Logo.

[#0000ff]Here is an example from the Utah Board-[/#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=56059"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=56059[/url]

Your right if someone wants to cheat they can. This is why we will not have a huge cash prize just enough to make it a competition. Maybe we will even buy a trophy or something like that.

Thanks for your interest

Windriver
[signature]
I would be interested in participating.

I like the idea of having the 3 biggest perch instead of 3 fish from the list of various species.

For the other 5 fish, does each fish have to be a different species or can you have, for example, 3 rainbows and 2 cutts?

Where can I get the BFT logo?

It sounds like fun to me!

Cole
[signature]
The three panfish rule does make it more of a challenge. It's also a way to get more variety in the species and techniques used.

The Utah Ice Fishing Challenge is a lot of fun and I look forward to it each year. I enjoy seeing the fish and lakes where other contestants are fishing. It definitely has expanded where I icefish.
[signature]
i think its a great idea! i would also love to participate im not expecting too win it because i dont know how much time i can dedicate to ice fishing this year but i would love to participate so let me know what to do windriver.
[signature]
Maybe I mis-read the picture rule. I thought it said you have to be in the picture, but in the link you attached he has a picture of a picture? Seems kind of silly to me, but that's what I'll do if I have to.

Send me a logo. PM me for address?
[signature]
This just a thread to see who is interested and to judge if there is enough interest to make it worth my time.

As for the rules we are just seeing what everyone thinks. We will make an official set of rules and I will make a logo for everyone to print off before ice comes. I wish I had enough stickers for everyone, but I don't have any right now.

[size 1][font "Verdana"][#008000][#008000][size 4]Picture Rule[/size][/#008000] 4. Must have a picture with the fish on the ground next to the tape, the BFT logo with the year 2010-2011 and you. [/#008000][#000000](You may use a picture of yourself on the ground next to the fish as their isn't always someone to help take the picture.) [/#000000][#008000]Pictures of fish in the air next to a tape will not count for points. All pictures must be taken at the lake.[/#008000] [/font][/size]

By the way I will choose an independent judge for this contest as I want to participate as well.

Thanks
Windriver
[signature]
After reading everyone's posts I'm really excited to try ice fishing this year, but I think I'll leave the contest to those more experienced.

Maybe I'll keep a record of my catches and if I'm anywhere near you guys I'll try next year.
[signature]
Ice fishing is my favorite. The contest will only be $10 if you change your mind. Ice fishing tends to be more social. This is just another way of building comraderie on the BFT forum.

Windriver
[signature]
I am a FOR SURE player count me in as one of the 20 and I will play by whatever rules you say including types of fish. Sounds fun and challenging.
[signature]
If you are lacking people near the deadline I may have to try it out. I may get out the first day and decide playing on the computer is a much warmer hobby.
[signature]
You can count me in sounds like a lot of fun. I like the three biggest perch idea also but I am OK with what ever you decide.

Jim
[signature]
Save your pennys and get good electronics. Then ice fishing is the best computer game ever. Real wind, crunching snow, and snapping ice sound effects included.

In all seriousness using a vexilar or marcum is like playing a video game.

Windriver
[signature]
I would really enjoy if Utah, Idaho and Wyoming all combined their tournaments for one big multi state tournament. Reduce the number of panfish to 2 and then not allow musky or pike as there aren't enough lakes to target them to make it fair to certain BFT members who don't live anywhere near a musky water. But keep macs and hybrids as their are enough lakes for most members to get to these waters with a 2 hour drive. I can only imagine an ice fishing contest with 100 members over three states and being able to count fish from Fish Lake, Strawberry, Flaming Gorge, Henry's Lake, Jackson Lake, PaliSades, Scofield, Bear Lake, etc.

I was considering not entering the Utah competition this year because I enjoy traveling to other states and fishing too much and hate feeling the pressure to focus on Utah waters. Add Idaho and Wyoming waters to list (and maybe Colorado) and we have our selves a very fun and diverse competition. I do think some people cheat (I know they did on another competition on a different site) and others fish 2-4 times per week which is impossible to keep up with, but keeping the prizes smaller (equipment or small gift cards) or to donations to charity in your name, would be best. TO me, it is all about the competition and less about the prizes.
[signature]
I agree it is about the competition and not the prizes. Good point.

I really like the idea of a three state tournament. That would be fun to watch. The problem for me would be having the time to 1. set it up, 2. moniter that big of a tournament, and 3. get the necessary permits in three states.

I think we will try running a small one just to get our feet in the water. Then maybe next year we can talk about having a three state mega tournament.

Thanks for your input I like your ideas.

Windriver
[signature]
Would we need a permit if it is spread out over multiple states (and if only 20 of the participants were from Idaho)?

I think it would be less work. Just have the 3 wyoming guys and 12 idaho guys join the 30 utah guys for the Utah tournament. Just allow fishing in the three states, lower the panfish to 2, add a bass as the third panfish so still 8 total species, don't count musky/pike, count cuttbows as a cutt or a bow, and everything else is the same. We could even not have prize money and just BFT gear give aways.

But next year may be better as there would be more time to plan it.
[signature]
I think that would be the sticky area. If there are 50 participants in the tournament. I think we would need a permit because they have the potential to fish in Idaho during the tournament. In other words they would be participating in a tournament using Idaho waters.

Windriver
[signature]
Some of you may have noticed that the Idaho Ice Fishing Contest Board has been put in place.

Are there any more comments on possible rules or things you would like to see happen? I will try to post the rules and how to sign up by the end of next week.

Thanks

Windriver
[signature]
great idea!! you can count me in. i dont plan to win but i am more than willing to try. I do see problems with ppl cheating though. i know a person on the utah board that was sending bft stickers with everyone he knew so they would take pictures of there fish and then he would claim them. but like was said above its more the competition and comrodary. I wouldnt be against doing a $20 dollar buy in and having more than one catigory. like largest trout, panfish. maybe have a prize for the most species, and a total lenght prize. Maybe we could also have a cuttoff date and have a idaho bft ice fishing day were the prizes are given away and what not.
[signature]