Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish "Frenzy" this Saturday at Utah Lake
A couple people have said they were interested in going out to Utah Lake to the bubble up this Saturday night to get a few kitties. Just curious who exactly is interested in going and at what times can you be there. I'll make sure anyone that comes has plenty of carp meat for bait -- if that's what they want to use. If you want to use anything else bring it along. Some people prefer different things.

I'll be fishing with my little brother from the pipe, it allows access to the "deeper" water if you can call it that out by the bubbles. There is a couple hundred yards of pipe, plenty of room, or you can wade if you prefer as well.
[signature]
I might br one of those guys interested in going out. I've had a terrible craving for fish lately and the cats and white bass I caught at afbh sunday night got gobbled up with me still yearning for more catmeat. So I think I might be joining you.
[signature]
So, loanfish, how do the bullheads taste? I've never dared try them because they smell really fishy. If you touch them with your hand when you release them, I swear no matter how hard I scrub and wash them later I can't get the smell off. It wears off after a day or two. They're so easy to catch, but I've always released them. What did you use for bait when you went to afbh with aquaman?
[signature]
i would love to cat man but i am going to lake powell early sunday morning for a 2 or 3 day stay..

from the fuzzyfisher-----------------fish on dudes
[signature]
The bullheads taste just as good as channels. I just soak the meat in milk overnight. Or cook em' up Pikeman style[Wink]. When I fillet them my hands will end up with that fishy smell for a day or 2[Sad].
[signature]
hey cat man we were using night crawlers i might meet you guys there we'll see how i feel when i get off work

chris
[signature]
Cool, hope to see you there! If you see a Red Toyota pickup you know that you're at the right place! Just walk down the gravel road out onto the dike! I probably won't wait at the road. Might as well get my line out there while I'm waiting, unless of course you guys beat me out there.
[signature]
what time are you going and how late do you usually fish? what exit do you take and then where do you go from there. i dont know what the boss (wife) has planned for me but i'm sure i can get out of it.
[signature]
[size 1]i dont know what the boss (wife) has planned for me but i'm sure i can get out of it . . [/size]

[size 1]attaboy! [Wink] [cool] [sly][/size]

[size 1]sm[/size]
[signature]
LOL I know what you mean about the "boss". I usually only go fishing when she's at work. I know where she's coming from though, we both work and I go to school and so I don't see her that much. So when she's off she gets my time/attention. Anyway, you can get to the bubble-up from two different directions, but I can only give good directions from the south. It's ok, though, if you're coming from Salt Lake these directions will get you there just as fast as if you come from the north:

From I-15 take the Orem Center Street Exit(I'm not sure what # it is). When you get off the freeway, head West and cross over the railroad tracks. Follow Center Street west until you hit the end (Geneva Road). Turn left (south) on Geneva Rd. and keep going until you hit a stop light. The intersection is 400 S Orem and Geneva Rd. From there, turn right(west) and then again turn right right away at the first road(just before the ball fields). Then keep heading North on this road for a half mile to a mile. It will eventually curve back west again, almost to the lake, then curve to the right(north) again, following the lake shore. Just follow this road along the shore until you see a pond between the lake and the road. Stop there. This will be just after a large beach area. If I'm already there my red Toyota will be parked there. Just walk down the gravel road out to the lake, it connects to a dike. From the dike you can see the pipe. There is a trail (quite filled in now) through the weeds to get out to it. Man, when we get more water and the lake fills back up, there will be a lot of submerged brush there for the bass and 'gills to hide in! If you want my cell in case you can't find it pm me and i can direct you...it's really easy to find though.
[signature]
I'll be there from about 6:30 to about 10:30 pm. on Saturday.
[signature]
Hey catman i will be interested in going probably take kids if its a safe place for them . My kids explore sometimes when the fishing is slow . Just need to know where to meet you at never been to that area.
[signature]
What do you guys mean,wife,boss?? Its better to ask for forgivness than permission!![Wink][Wink]"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.
[signature]
I like that !! Only thing that is different at my house is I don't seek permission or forgiveness , so I'm always in the dog house . LOL
[signature]
It's pretty safe, as long as your kids aren't too young. The pipe is just wide enough that you can squeeze by another person on it if you need to pass them. If you do fall in, you'll only be up to your knees, maybe waist if you're out there far enough, and the water is quite warm. There really isn't a lot of room for them to run around though. There is a beach a couple hundred yards to the south that they could run around on, but you wouldn't be able to keep an eye on them though.

[size 1]From I-15 take the Orem Center Street Exit(I'm not sure what # it is). When you get off the freeway, head West and cross over the railroad tracks. Follow Center Street west until you hit the end (Geneva Road). Turn left (south) on Geneva Rd. and keep going until you hit a stop light. The intersection is 400 S Orem and Geneva Rd. From there, turn right(west) and then again turn right right away at the first road(just before the ball fields). Then keep heading North on this road for a half mile to a mile. It will eventually curve back west again, almost to the lake, then curve to the right(north) again, following the lake shore. Just follow this road along the shore until you see a pond between the lake and the road. Stop there. This will be just after a large beach area. If I'm already there my red Toyota will be parked there. Just walk down the gravel road out to the lake, it connects to a dike. From the dike you can see the pipe. There is a trail (quite filled in now) through the weeds to get out to it. Man, when we get more water and the lake fills back up, there will be a lot of submerged brush there for the bass and 'gills to hide in! If you want my cell in case you can't find it pm me and i can direct you...it's really easy to find though.[/size]

[size 1]I'll be there at about 6:30 pm Sat. You're more than welcome if you decide to come. [/size]
[signature]
Ok everyone who wants to come, yesterday after work I went out and got about a 3 lb. carp from a pond out here at the end of the parking lot where I work. I stuck in in my freezer whole, but I'll put it in the fridge Sat. morning so it will be thawed out by the time we go. There will be enough carp meat for bait for anyone who wants to use it.
[signature]
Wish I could be there. I love catching those Utah Lake summer cats. They are a blast. For anyone kinda thinking about it, that hasn't ever fought one of those Channel Cat brutes, get down there with these guys that know what they are doing! You won't regret it! Have a great trip guys!

To get the smell of those kittys off of your hands.

Use a citrus (lemon or Orange, both work) scented dish soap and add table salt to scrub with. I have yet to find a fish smell it doesn't kill instantly. Yes, I've even used it on Northern Pike and Walleye stink and won.
[signature]
Thanks Curtisfish! I'll have to give that a try. My wife will be so happy with you too if it works! LOL
[signature]
my wife and I are planning on heading out to the basin this weekend, but I may see if I can make a stop for a few hours. I will try and see what I can do? I have about 8 lbs of catfish in my freezer right now so I need to do a fish fry, but a couple of more lbs would be fine, or I could just send em swimming back to grow a little bigger.

JEd
[signature]
Your boss....I mean wife must really love you if she'll let you keep a 3# carp in the fridge! [Wink]
[signature]