Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Contest Rules Question
I put this on the main board to make sure everyone sees this.

One of the things that people wanted in the rules was to allow people to count three perch for their three panfish instead of three different panfish species, since that would require extreme travel for some people.

My question is how do we insure that people are submitting pictures of three different perch if we allow the same species to count? I can just see this becoming a big deal as perch tend to run in schools of around the same size.

Give me some ideas.

Right now I am leaning towards seperate species or just one panfish. It is a little easier in Utah where there are bluegill,perch,whitebass, and crappie in more places.

Windriver

Give me some ideas.
[signature]
I agree with the 1 perch thoughts. It would be hard to tell the difference. How about 1 perch, but must have a perch to qualify. No perch, you can't win. Just an idea.
[signature]
It's pretty tough to come up with 2 separate panfish in these parts, let alone 3? Maybe 1 panfish.
[signature]
I am torn between the ideas of like the idea of two panfish, one of which can be a bass or walleye, etc., or just one panfish. But it is Idaho, land of huge trout and very few panfish and bass through the ice (besides perch). I think the three panfish requirement in Utah is too much also.
[signature]
i understand where you are coming from with the whole panfish/ perch thing. but dangit i just moved to where there are perch bluegill crappie largemouth sunfish muskie lakers and many many other species. so i was kind of excited for the three panfish.
[signature]
Do sturgeon and carp count as panfish? [angelic] [Wink]
[signature]
sturgeon through the ice? i wanna know where?[crazy] lol that would be rad and silly at the same time.

by the way guess who just joined the 1000 post club!
[signature]
Congrats on the thousand post club.

Ya, if I was in Northern Idaho I might feel differently about the panfish.

You should still have an advantage with Pike, and Walleye being in the gamefish category.

Windriver
[signature]
What do you guys think about requiring a "trash" fish in the contest. Trash fish would be defined as sucker, chub, pikeminnow, carp.

That might make things a little interesting?

Windriver
[signature]
i would like to see a trash fish contest also. i would rather have 1 panfish species or 3 diffrent not 3 perch.
[signature]
im curious also if we get more than 20 ppl maybe we could have a seperate contest with trash fish or steelhead or something like that?
[signature]
Someone else can put together other contests. Putting together one little ice fishing contest is enough for me right now.[laugh]

Windriver
[signature]
i tried to do a steelhead compotition last year and only 2 people participated it was a bust.
[signature]
I like the trash fish and one perch idea.My ten bucks is going out in the morning.

Jim
[signature]
If more than 1 perch is submitted they must be in the same photo from the same day.
[signature]
How about Gem lake or Johns hole in Idaho Falls? You can not take them out to get a picture anyway. Maybe a freak chance on CJs Bruneu arm if it freezes.
[signature]
i think the problem with a steelhead contest is most ppl only get out once or twice a season.
[signature]
(10-14-2010, 10:12 PM)chrome_junky Wrote: sturgeon through the ice? i wanna know where?[crazy] lol that would be rad and silly at the same time.

[signature]
Past contest we have had here was with one panfish and a non species like a carp or a sucker or a whitefish

(10-14-2010, 10:12 PM)chrome_junky Wrote: sturgeon through the ice? i wanna know where?[crazy] lol that would be rad and silly at the same time.

[signature]
I caught one through ice last year.  I didnt take it out of hole but i estimated 38 inches long.  Took me 45 minutes to get to hole on 8 lb. Test

[signature]
Brought one to the hole last winter.  Regs say you cant take out of water.   Is ice still considered water.  Could we stretch rules to get a measurement?

(10-14-2010, 11:04 PM)windriver Wrote: What do you guys think about requiring a "trash" fish in the contest.  Trash fish would be defined as sucker, chub, pikeminnow, carp. 

That might make things a little interesting?

Windriver
[signature]
We would all have a shot at non species trash fish