Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decontamination for quagga/zebra mussels?
Just a quick question for you guys who fish out of state in zebra/quagga free clean waters. Me and a group were planing to take our sm 14" into utah to fish some of the clean zebra free reservoirs. My understanding is they are very strict and do inspections. Our boat has been to mead n mohave hundreds of times we always do the self clean hose method. My questions are how do they validate a self cleaning? Do I need it professionally cleaned with a receipt? Any help appreciated just don't want to get fined or drop off any aquatic disasters. thanks[cool]
[signature]
I went to Fish Lake in UT, and they just asked my how recent it was since my last launch at Meade. The ranger/questionnaire lady came straight to us when she noticed out Nevada plates. I think she said that if the boat has been out of the water for over a week then it is fine but I am not 100% sure. This was also in the summer when the heat would most likely kill the mussels faster.
[signature]
[left]If you properly clean and dry your boat, then a quick inspection and a couple of questions should be all you encounter.

I found a great [url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/wr/0803quagga/0803quagga.pdf"]19 page pamphlet[/url] on quagga and zebra mussels in Utah.

Short Version-

[size 4]If you have been in any infested water, you must decontaminate your boat and equipment before entering or traveling in Utah.[/size]
[size 4][/size]
[size 4][/size]
[size 4]

[center][Image: cmparisnr.gif]
[/size][size 5][size 5]Decontamination steps

[/size][/size][size 4]Here are some steps you should take to decontaminate your boat whenever you leave a body of water:

1. Remove all plants, animals, mussels and mud from your boat and equipment.

2. Drain and dry every area of your boat (motors, livewells, bait wells, bilge areas, ballast tanks) and your equipment.

3. Dry your boat and equipment in the sun for at least seven days in the summer and for 18 days in the spring/fall. You can also freeze your equipment for three days.
[/size][size 4][size 4][Image: sand_hollow3.jpg]
Alternate method: Contact a professional to apply scalding water (140º F) to wash your boat and to flush your motor, bilge and livewells.

[Image: 298031605_Me43t-S.jpg]

[/size][/size][size 4]What does this really mean for you as a boater? You need to be vigilant—always keep your boat and equipment clean and dry.[/size]
[center][size 4][/size]
[center][size 4][/size]
[center][size 4]
[/size][#000000][size 4]Enforcement measures-[/size][/#000000]
[size 4][/size]
[#000000][size 4]The State of Utah is also taking action to stop these nasty aquatic hitchhikers. In March 2008, the Utah legislature approved funding for outreach, education and decontamination efforts.[/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4]Legislators also passed a law that allows peace officers [/size][/#000000][#000000][size 4]to stop boats and inspect them for quagga and zebra mussels. These inspections will occur at checkpoints stationed near recreational areas and sometimes at Utah Ports of Entry. [/size][/#000000]
[size 4][/size]
[center]
[#000000][size 4]•The initial stop will be just long enough to determine if the boat has been in an infected water or region.[/size][/#000000]
[size 4][/size]
[#000000][size 4]•If it has been in an infected water or region, an officer will determine if it has been decontaminated.[/size][/#000000]
[size 4][/size]
[#000000][size 4]•If it has not been decontaminated, the officer will hold the boat just long enough to ensure that decontamination takes place.[/size][/#000000]
[center]
[#000000][size 4]If you’ve recently used your boat in an infested lake or reservoir, you should decontaminate it immediately. It’s better for the state’s waterways and definitely better for your boat![/size][/#000000]
[center][size 4][/size]
[center][Image: logo_sah.jpg]
Thanks guys[cool] I throw a report up if we end up going. Still debating if it will be worth the drive & $. And holy smokes thats one dirty prop cant understand why someone would let it get so bad thanks again.
[signature]
Yeah, that prop is out of control.
[signature]