Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tenkara for a new fly fisherman?
I don't fly fish. Yet. My wife has made it pretty clear that I get a fly rod for Christmas (whoo hoo). After that, I'll be a fly fisherman, or at least try to be. A guy at work thinks get can get me a great deal on a Loop rod and a real to go with it. I thought I had it pretty well figured out for starting gear.

Then earlier this week while reading here I saw mention of this Tenkara thing and looked it up. I'm fairly interested now. The simplistic approach appeals to me. It also seems to require a lot less messing with equipment to get started. It also seems like it would have VERY subtle presentation.

So, all the fly experience I have is using a bobber or casting bubble on a spinning rod to see what I can get (BTW, I've gotten more than I figured I would that way). I live in Southwestern Idaho, not an area with a ton of small streams (or if there are I just don't know about them) and I'm afraid that if I get a Tenkara rod I'll be kicking myself when I'm on the Boise and can't fish that seam on the other side of the river. On the other hand, I envision standing in a pile of tangled fly line on the edge of a gorgeous piece of water kicking myself.

Can any one offer any input on starting into fly fishing with this type of gear? Am I best to just go with more traditional fly rods to start? Any help would be spectacular. Also, if you happen to know that I live near great small streams, just tell me that and I'll do the work to find them.

Thanks
[signature]
I'd go with a fly rod over the Tenkara. Not much to learn with using a tenkara but a fly rod isn't all that hard to get the basics down and start catching fish. The benefit of the fly rod is it is so much more versatile. You will be able to fish most waters in SW Idaho well with it. Not so at all with a Tenkara and get a 9ft 5 or 6wt flyrod for SW Idaho. Don't be intimidated with fly fishing it really is a lot easier than it looks.
[signature]
I agree with Riverdog. Tenkara is fishing with a fly, but it isn't fly fishing so to speak.
You need to learn to cast(all styles), mend and strip first in my opinion. Then Tenkara makes much more sense once you know that.
Plus Tenkara is a specific style. Not meant big rivers, or stillwater.
Very limited.

But, then I am not impressed with LOOP either. Heard their customer service is lacking fro several.

I say a good 9' or 8'6" 5 weight with action that suits you style. Don't skimp on line and a good reel (does not need to be high dollar).
For trout a reel is just a place to store your line, but a fair drag is a good thing.
Several of my reels are in the $50. range.

Once you get the gear, don't worry so much about over head casting as new comers tend to rush it causing a tangled mess. Go to water and practice roll casting. Need water though.
http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clips/wu...cs_05.aspx
[signature]
in addition to the great advice given by riverdog and FG you may want to do a couple of other things..

one.. if you can find a local ff'ing club and go and talk to them.. and a local fly shop as well.. you get a wealth of information from those two places.. especially on what gear to get and the best places to fish.. lots of clubs offer free or minimal fee workshops on casting, entomology, fly tying etc..

another thing to do (and FG got you started) is to look up videos on line.. there are some great videos on all types of casting, and fly tying, and line and rod selection etc... spend some time gathering information and then ask around for confirmations..

as FG said a lot of what you will do is roll casting.. especially on smaller streams and still waters (shoreline fishing especially).. take the time to learn the roll cast.. and maybe segway into spey casting for single handed rods (info on the internet)... my son in law still casts his fly rod like a spinning rod.. lol.. I keep telling him to slow it down and just do roll casts and he looks at me and says thats what Im doing.. lol..

lastly.. there is a wealth of information and experienced anglers on this forum (and others) so dont hesitate to ask questions and then take that advice out to the water and practice..

as for the Tenkara.. Ive been sorely tempted to get one myself but as FG and RD said learn the basics first and then look at the possible applications of tenkara fishing on the waters that you fish... for example Id love to use tenkara fishing on some of the small streams in TN with my son in law.. perfect place to use a limited line on a long rod and let it drift to the fish that I never seem to be able to get my fly too.. :-)..

good luck and please us up to date on your progress.. especially if you get into some fish....and we love pictures.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for all the help. Sounds like traditional fishing is the way to start. Maybe Tankara is somewhere (further) in my future anyhow.

On a relatively unrelated note, I hit the pond near my house tonight after work and caught my first fish (a planter rainbow) on a nymph. I've used dries, poppers and a couple terestrials, but this was just a little different. The copper john below split shot and a bobber from a spinning rod probably doesn't count as real fly fishing, but I sure am enjoying slowly moving into this sport.
[signature]
as with anything else you take it all a step at a time... I never caught anything on a bubble fly but it was still a lot of fun...

my first fish on a fly was a LMB from a small golf course lake.. my brother in law set me up.. gave me a quick lesson on casting.. gave me a box of poppers and said have fun.. and I did.. a lot of fun.. when that bass decided it was time he hit that popper hard and put up a good fight... quick picture and he was released safely.. the next day on the same rig I hooked into a good sized crappie in the same area.. no picture this time but the memory is embedded in my brain.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote ditchbanker]Thanks for all the help. Sounds like traditional fishing is the way to start. Maybe Tankara is somewhere (further) in my future anyhow.

On a relatively unrelated note, I hit the pond near my house tonight after work and caught my first fish (a planter rainbow) on a nymph. I've used dries, poppers and a couple terestrials, but this was just a little different. The copper john below split shot and a bobber from a spinning rod probably doesn't count as real fly fishing, but I sure am enjoying slowly moving into this sport.[/quote]

Now that is cool and exciting. You know you can catch fish on a silly little hook wrapped with wire and bird feathers (and Copper John is one of my go to flies...so great move in my opinion)

Now, get a fly rod, some floating line a fair reel. Not sure how deep you were fishing, but take some mono, or fluoro in desired weight. Attach it to your fly line. Add an indicator (bobber for fly fishing LOL) and attach fly and split shot the same.

Difference here is like the Joan Wulff. Feed and wiggle the tip of the rod so you get line coming out and laying on the water.
Then lift the tip of the rod till the line slightly falls behind you forming a "D", and flip and point.

It is very hard to do over head false casting when using an indicator PLUS split shot. A roll cast will be much easier.

And remember, anything you can do with a spinning or a Bait casting rod reel, you CAN do with a fly rod and reel...just need to practice, but this is a good thing.

Stay in touch with this, this is great!!!!
[signature]
Thanks for the encouragement.

Reference nymphs with an indicator, I was more interested in trying something like a yarn indicator. I don't know, maybe it's to feel like I'm actually moving on from where I'm at now Smile

I have read your technique for nymphing and it does sound like you've refined it a lot. There are a lot of things for me to try, but I'm sure I'll get to that one some day.
[signature]
Good advise on visiting a club or fly shop. Even hiring a guide... you can learn so much.

One of the club members might have a Tenkara rod you can borrow. That's what I did. After 5 minutes I knew I had to have one... so much fun.

Tenkara is just another tool in your rod collection to add to your fishing fun. It's great for small fish... under a pound or trout less than 15 inches. I even used a bubble strike indicator when trout fishing the Yellowstone.
You have to try one.
[signature]
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to start out with a western fly rod, though. With the size of the water around here I think I'd get frustrated with a Tankara rod pretty quickly if it was my only fly rod.

However, I could see Tankara in my future.
[signature]
Me Too[Wink]
[signature]
me three... LOL...
[signature]