Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing steering gear box and cable in boat?
So I went to Henry's in Idaho last weekend and of course when we go to launch, my outboard won't move. In trying to freeze it up, I crank on the wheel and then something snaps from inside the steering. So I am pretty sure I have a busted Safe-T steer box and a frozen up steering cable. I am also pretty sure it happened because I put the wrong grease in the joint.

The boat is a 17 ft 2000 trophy 1703 center console. I also think it is a 14ft Teleflex® Safe-T Quick-Connect Rotary Steering System.

So a few questions. What do you think is broken? Does the steering cable kit come with both the cable and the gear box? http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/...OGLE_29527

Have any of you had this problem and how did you get it fixed? I am pretty sure I have to take in to a boat mechanic. How much do you think for the repair? Which mechanic in Utah County would you recommend?

So I don't repeat this, what type of grease are you suppose to use on boats? I boat the most expensive stuff at Walmart but I bet it was not good enough.

Thanks.
[signature]
Most of the time what happens is the steering cable seizes inside the tilt tube on the outboard motor (where the cable goes through the outboard motor. So most of the time you have to ruin the steering cable to remove it from the tilt tube also on some boats the motor has to be removed to get the new cable in and out. The snapping sound that you heard is the nylon gear that is inside the helm/gear box. I know down at Marine Products 949 west 1700 south, We stock a lot of cables and cable kits.
[signature]
[quote Jacksonman I am also pretty sure it happened because I put the wrong grease in the joint.

The type of grease should not matter anything is better then nothing. Mercury 24C w/Teflon is what mercury recommends.
[signature]
I took the boat to a local boat mechanic in Provo who quoted me $250 for the kit and $500 for labor as the motor does have to come off. It is a safe-t steering system, 14 ft I believe. If you can beat the price, I would be more than happy to bring it to you. Thanks.
[signature]
We have the 14 ft rotary kit in stock we can sell it for 171.99 as for the labor it is between 380.00 and 475.00. The only other additional parts would be if the tilt tube is to far gone to save but we need a engine ser# for a price on this.
[signature]
I have a mobile boat repair business and guarantee best price. If you still need help, let me know.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!