Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A farewell to bass, and I actually got my goal
Back in the year 2000, I came up with this silly goal of catching 2000 fish in the year 2000. Well, I ended up somewhere in the mid 1800s, but I had always thought that it would be fun to try again someday. So I moved to rural Cache Valley a couple of years ago and fell in love with fishing again. Last year I decided to try again, but once again, I ended up in the mid 1800s. So along comes 2010 with a winter that never wants to die, bass still in prespawn in June, and then I start nursing school with 8 hours of class a day and tons and tons of homework....it doesn't look good. Well, fast forward to Friday, I have 1849 fish. Back in the mid 1800s again. Things have really been slowing down my last few times out, I really don't think I have any chance. The forecast was showing impending doom for the bass fishing in southeast Idaho in the form of several days of that awful white stuff. With my wife out of town on business, and a day off from school , I felt it was my duty to go out and fish one last time. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. The bass were very active. I started catching them on a small bass colored Husky Jerk,[inline "husky bass small.JPG"] and a little size 4 jointed Rapala. Most were little, but there were a few good ones thrown in the mix. I keep catching bass one after the other over some very shallow weed flats. I move a bit deeper and start throwing a small crank. I must have happened into a school of perch because they were all over it.
[inline "perch fatty small.JPG"]
I caught about a dozen of those before I decided to move back to the weeds for the bass. I decided to switch out the Husky Jerk for a small X-Rap. They approved of the choice. [inline "x bass small.JPG"]The wind had started up and the clouds had grown thick. The water was only 52, so I thought it was a little cold for a fast bait, but I tied on a little Lucky Craft vibration bait on my medium light rod anyway. I cast it along the deep edge of a weed bed, and it was on. [inline "big bass small.JPG"][inline "cutter bass small.JPG"]
It was so good that I tied an LV0 onto my medium rod. The weeds were very shallow in parts and this little lure went over the tops of them like a charm. After 12-15 good bass [inline "lv bass small.JPG"][inline "lv bass 2 small.JPG"][inline "fat bass small.JPG"]it tapered off and it was back to catching them on the X-Rap. It was about time for me to leave for work anyway. Fridays can be slow, so I called to see if they even needed me, but Sadly they did. I had had a fantastic 3.5 hours, catching 107 fish in that time. Most were little 8-10" bass, but there were probably two dozen in the 12-17" range, plus the dozen fat perch. I was so close to my goal, only 44 more fish to go. I made up my mind that I was coming back in the morning, rain or not.

Saturday I was surprised to be greeted by the sun. I hurried back to Idaho and launched around 10:30. It wasn't as fast as Friday. I started catching little guys on the X-Rap as I paddled over to that weed line. I threw the Lucky Crafts and did score a few better bass. [inline "bass 3 small.JPG"] Then I decided to tie a small Matzuo Nano jerk bait onto my ultralight since I was catching so many small bass. I'd give them a chance to fight a little. Well, first cast along the weed line and a couple twitches in, the tiny bait just stops. I know it's a good one. My little buggy whip is bent in half. I loosen my drag so that my 6lb test doesn't snap. I was grateful I brought a net as I scooped up this fat 19" bass. [inline 19.JPG]That was fun. I kept fishing my little jerk baits, and I switched out one of my Lucky Crafts for a different LC vibrating bait in a ghost shad color, and did very well on that one too.[inline "bass 2 small.JPG"][inline "bass small.JPG"]
I caught a good 25 larger bass that day. I fished until about three, and the wind and clouds were getting worse. I hadn't been able to feel my feet for the past two hours, and I was about to warm myself up in the most unpleasant of ways, so I headed in. After taking care of business, I walked the shoreline catching maybe a dozen more small bass and also found a couple of old lures in the mud. It started to rain pretty badly, but I fished a little bit longer and the last two casts brought me a couple of 15-16" rainbows on the LC. The approaching clouds looked even darker, so I hightailed it for the car right before the deluge of rain. I caught 75 more fish that afternoon, crushing my goal by 21 fish. I'm not sure if I'll make it out again this year. If I do it will likely be for trout. I imagine the water will be in the low 40s by the time these storms have passed, so I think the bass will have gone to bed for the winter.
[signature]
Awesome pics. That is a ton of fish. What a fun time. I can't believe they are hitting like that this late in October. I went out for bass last year in mid October and only caught one.

Windriver
[signature]
cool post ! what reservoir was featured ?
[signature]
That is just awesome. I've never kept track of how many I've caught in a year but it would be no where that many. I've had some 100+ days on Brownlee but those are getting less and less with the influx of people anymore.

Great job!!!!!!
[signature]
That is a great story - thanks for going to the effort. 2000 bass in a year is quite an accomplishment and it looks like you made it just in the nick of time.

My goal this year is to catch 8 hours of uninterupted sleep which appears to be in direct conflict with whatever goal my two year old daughter set for herself.
[signature]
You're the man for those areas!!! [Wink] Glad you accomplished your goal. What with the low water there, I'm really worried about next year. We should have kept a few, huh? Hate to see em just die on the bottom of the pond. [frown]
[signature]
Interesting post, and great job. I fish the Snake for smallmouth and set the same goal this year. I have gone over 1900 a couple of years, but have never reached 2000. I don't think I'll make it this year either, for I spent too many spring days on Lake Lowell fishing for largemouth - which I don't count. A few months ago I was around 1500, and those big number days on the river are about gone. I know how hard it is, and you have done a terrific job.

I set one other goal of catching a Snake River smallie every month of the year. It was tough in January and February, but I did get some decent fish each month. I'm pretty sure I'll reach that goal.
[signature]
Thanks everyone. 1900+ smallmouth is pretty exceptional. I wasn't going strictly one species, they were all game, even the carp. Largemouth were definitely the predominant fish though, followed by probably either browns or cutthroat. Bass in January and February is quite the feat as well. My hat is off to you.

I'm not quite as worried about the water level as I was. It's up a few feet from what it was a month ago, and all this moisture could only help.

I'm as surprised as you are Windriver. I was not expecting to catch anywhere near that many, let alone a bunch of nice ones on fast moving rattle baits.

I'm certainly familiar with the lack of sleep thing. It's after 11 and I'm still studying for an exam and a quiz tomorrow morning. Blah. Luckily I do get to sleep in on the weekends though, so I get my 8 once or twice a week.

As for which reservoir, I'll just say it's a small one in southeastern Idaho that doesn't get the credit it deserves.
[signature]
great story man, now imagine how many fish you could catch if we could only get you icefishing.... im disapointed we never made it out together this summer.
[signature]
Life definitely got crazy. Next June I'm done with my LPN though and I'll hopefully be working three 12s a week. That should give us all sorts of options for getting out and fishing. I just might have to give ice fishing a try this winter. The thought of going months without fishing seems pretty rough.
[signature]