Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger Trout at Strawberry
On the weekend of October 16th, my wife and I were fishing the north end of Strawberry and she caught this fish which appears to be a Tiger Trout. I sent the photo to the DWR office and received a "maybe" reply. Has anyone else ever latched onto one up there?
[signature]
Looks like a tiger to me. Interesting.
[signature]
Thats a tiggy.

I havent caught one personally but heard of a couple others taken at Dah Berry
[signature]
Seriously, the DWR gave you a "maybe" that's a tiger trout? Is there any doubt whatsoever?
[signature]
That's definitely a tiger trout. I went to the DWR web site and read the stocking report for Strawberry and there was no mention of tiger trout. I think that exotics sometimes get into other holding ponds for rainbows and cutthroats then end up in the stocking truck with them. I once caught a small splake in the stream up AF canyon and I suspect he got there the same way. I let him go but I doubt he is still around because that stream gets pounded hard by novices that feel compelled to keep everything they catch.
[signature]
This is the reply I received from DWR. Sounds like a "maybe" to me!

Though difficult to tell for sure from the photos, it sure does look like a tiger trout. We do not actively stock tiger trout into Strawberry, however, I have seen one in there a few years ago. Since tigers cannot reproduce naturally, they had to be stocked. The most likely explanation is that they jump the raceway walls at the hatchery, and we end up with a few mixed in with our stocks at Strawberry. Thanks for sharing.

Alan Ward
Strawberry Project Leader
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
435-649-9368
[signature]
I wish they put tigers in the berry that would rock!
[signature]
What are the chances it came through the tunnel from Currant Creek Reservoir?
[signature]
Do you guys/gals think that Tigers would be good or bad if they were planted in Strawberry? Big lake, but I'm not sure the consequences of such a thing.

Interesting though.
[signature]
One of the fisherman I took up there last year got one about 14" long...
[signature]
[#500000][size 2]One could only hope that about 100K more would jump the raceway walls.[/size][/#500000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Or get a scheduled planting for Currant Creek "re-routed" to Strawberry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You old tiger-lover, you. (I'm witcha all da way.)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I might even fish da Berry if there was tigers to tame.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
2 or 3 hundred thousand tigers wouldn't hurt Strawberry a bit. At least they're not scared of chubs, like Bear Lake cutts are!
[signature]
100K a year in the Strawberry side, that's all I ask!
[signature]
Non of us being biologist, we can only guess.

My feelings on it are I like Tigers as much as the next fisher, but I don't think Strawberry needs another Frankenfish.
They put the sterile Rainbow are good enough fighters to me.
The Koke aren't too bag either

The once in a blue moon Bass, Brookie, and Tiger are kind of a cool surprise.

Besides, Current Creek is just a hop skip and a jump away from duh berry.[laugh]
[signature]
[cool]The BLC's have been keeping the chubs in check the past 7 years or so. When the cutt's reach 17" roughly, they reach sexual maturity and also become meat eaters- the bigger they are the more chub they eat..
Tigers are a Frankenstein fish. Screw the tigers and bring on Kamloop 'bows, sterile or otherwise.
[signature]
I would be the happiest man on earth if they added a bunch of tigers and sterile brookies to the berry. Why not add some brown trout too!!

After fishing Henrys last weekend, it was awesome having multiple species in the lake. Tiger trout and sterile brookies wouldn't hurt a thing in that lake. Browns would be able to reproduce but never do in a huge numbers in lakes anyways. How fun would it be to have the cutts, kamloops, sterile cuttbow hybrids, tigers, brookies and browns?!

One can dream right?!
[signature]
I agree major. I was just saying that although I realize the cutts in there are neccessary, I would prefer any other species of trout on the end of my line. Inlcuding Kams!
Strawberry is what it is though and I applaud the DWR for what it has become.
[signature]
[quote Jacksonman]

After fishing Henrys last weekend, it was awesome having multiple species in the lake.[/quote]

Okay, Cutt, Hybrid and Brookie = Henry's
Koke, Cutt, Rainbow (with some Tiger, & bass and some Brookies?)=Strawberry

But I agree man, BROWN would be awesome, and second The Kamloop, nothing beats Kams...[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
"Though difficult to tell from the photos..." Seriously? Why won' the DWR just admit something when it's plain as day? This seems an awful lot like when the DWR would refuse to admit there were wolves in Utah, and any reported wolf sighting was dismissed as a coyote or a big dog...even when there were pictures showing them. Even when a wolf had been captured and relocated. I know of someone who tried to report bear tracks in the foothills above American Fork to the DWR office a few years back. He was told there are no bears there, and he must be mistaken. Really?

That's a tiger trout. There is no question about it. There is no difficulty telling from the photos. Just acknowledge that the stocking programs aren't perfect, and fish that aren't supposed to get some places do get there.

As for tigers in the Berry....why? Go to Scofield (or 150 other lakes in this state) if you want tigers. I think it's refreshing to have at least one solid fishery where they aren't dumping a billion tiger trout in there. I like catching tiger trout, I just don't want to do it everywhere.
[signature]