Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchor rope query
Apologies if this has been covered, but I've never come to the boat forum before! [angelic]

I would appreciate those willing to offer some solutions of how they manage the rope attached to their anchor, please.

We were fishing the narrows at Pineview and needed to anchor up, and dealing with the rope for that deep of water time and time again was challenging to avoid tangles, etc.

Is there some type of device to wind your rope each time, or is there a type of rope that tangles less that I must have, etc..

I'm very visual, so photos are much appreciated - but I'd love any solutions.

THANKS!!!
[signature]
[#000080]The best solution is to keep away from the cheap, nylon ropes. Use the proper "made for anchor" rope sold in boat places. They are much more managable. Starting with the anchor, you should have a length (12-18") of chain attached directly to the anchor which will make the anchor lay down properly and hook up. Then attach the rope to the chain. I coil my rope(s) up into a round bag so that when you feed out your anchor the rope will uncoil properly. Putting it back in the bag is a little time consuming, but it makes for very managable anchoring when you need it. If you have an anchor locker in your boat, you can simply coil the rope in there, but there may be times when you want more than one anchor. I keep at least three in my boat, with 200' of rope on each. Remember that you may need to anchor at an angle 3 times the depth just to keep the anchor from dislodging.[/#000080]
[#000080][/#000080]
[#000080]Hope this helps. [cool][/#000080]
[#000080][/#000080]
[#000080]Hope this helps[/#000080]
[signature]
Roger, you saw the anchor rope that I use on my boat. I purchase the quality ropes from boat stores and they have come with a spool to wrap the rope around. If not, they sell them at marine shops.
[signature]
[quote SportfishinSteve][#000080]you should have a length (12-18") of chain attached directly to the anchor . I coil my rope(s) up into a round bag so that when you feed out your anchor the rope will uncoil properly. Putting it back in the bag is a little time consuming, but it makes for very managable anchoring when you need it. [/#000080][/quote]

Thanks for the info. I learned about the absolute necessity of having a chain upon asking some questions after my first boat trip in high winds. [Wink] I'll definitely have to check out a different type of rope.

Though I'm not quite sure how you make use of an "anchor bag" and I'm curious. I've never seen that in a rubber raft, but now with any sizable length of rope. I'll have to keep any eye out for exactly what you mean. [cool]

Rog
[signature]