Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Checking in
Gents and ladies,

In the course of seeking some input on a planned trip to Idaho and Montana next year, I happily found these forums and am pleased to join in.

I'm a mid-50s office-bound CPA in Raleigh, NC for around 46 weeks a year. I ski in Utah each January and I try to combine fishing with mountain biking, hiking, and hanging out at the beach the rest of my time off.

I've fished regularly since my early 20s when extensive field work placed me in Michigan's Upper Peninsula for two consecutive summers. Since then, I've bass fished in VA and NC, surf-fished NC's Outer Banks, trout fished in western Montana and Utah, and striped bass fished in the Chesapeake Bay. Nowadays, I gather with a group of geology school classmates (my first degree was in geology and I did field work in mineral exploration before the family came along and squashed the continuous travel) for annual weeklong striper trips on Chesapeake Bay and we've now added an annual 2-week trip to Montana to the mix. This year we did a week on Rock Creek, east-southeast of Missoula, and a second week in the Grasshopper Valley on the south end of the Pioneer Mountains just east of the Big Hole. The 2011 trip is to include a week along the MT-ID border on the Magruder Road then another week in the Grasshopper Valley.

I fly fish for trout and sometimes cheat and throw spinners when I'm feeling lazy. Most of my striper fishing is casting topwater plugs and poppers on the Bay. It's a blast to watch big stripers fighting over your plug. Most of my surf-fishing was late 80s-early 90s and involved chasing schools of marauding bluefish down the beach in my truck, casting big wobbling spoons to voracious 12-15 pounders. Now THAT was a blast, while it lasted.

I run a 24' walkaround cuddy-cabin boat on the Bay and I have a little 12' jonboat, a canoe, and a kayak for skinny water. I'm pondering bringing the kayak out to MT next year for use on Twin Lakes, near Wisdom. Plenty of time to sort that out.

So that's about it. Glad to be here. If I can share any insights about Chesapeake Bay, NC Outer Banks, or NC/VA mountain trout fishing, hit me.

WFox43
Raleigh, NC
[signature]
welcome to the site WFox43... looks like some fishing time under you waders..

since you found the Idaho forum let me invite you to take a look at the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?category=69"]Fly Fishing forum[/url].. lots of good anglers there a few of which I know fish the Utah, Idaho area...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks macfly,

I'm a bit of a hack with the long sticks, but I'll check in over there, too, to see if anybody has direct intel on the uppermost Selway, where I'll be next year.

I can offer some access intel on some MT streams, but that's about it. Presenting drys on mountain streams is about the least-frequently practiced method of angling for me.

WFox43
[signature]
look forward to seeing you there...as for expertise with the fly rod.. we have a wide variety of anglers all of whom are willing to help a fellow angler when they can...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]