Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool Wading
Just thought I'd share a wading technique I started using while flyfishing South Slope streams this summer. I bought a new pair of neoprene wading booties from NRS (see pic) and use them instead of waders while flyfishing in this hot weather. I simply wear a pair of swim trunks and these boots and really love this method. It's a little cool when you get in some streams (I wouldn't want to do it in the Logan River BRRRR) but you quickly get used to the water and it is quite refreshing. The cool water keeps you from overheating and you can fish much longer. I have high dollar breathable Simms waders, but these are preferable to even those in the heat of summer. Anyone else out there wading the streams without waders?. If not, you should give it a try. Just more of my rambling thoughts.

Good Stream Fishing, Kayote

[Image: wearimg11.jpg]
[signature]
I wet wade in the provo all the time. I don't even own waders. I just wear some shorts and old sneekers. In the summer that is all I want to wade in. Nice and cool. Some of the flyfishermen I run into look at me like I'm an unfortunate soul or some wannabe angler...I guess I'd be a better fisherman If I went to Orvis and dropped a paycheck or two.
[signature]
Hello Kayote,

I have a river rafting buddy that uses those exact NRS boots for fishing too. He's constantly saying how nice and comfortable they are and urges me to get a pair. I've always been like Junksiege when it come to summer fishing on the rivers, just a pair of old sneekers and some quick drying swim shorts. However, I have notice that sneekers tend to get a bit stiff and uncomfortable after they've been wet and then dried a few times. Maybe I should finally bite the bullet and get a pair.
[signature]
They are really nice and have a couple of benefits over sneakers. First, they are taller, so you don't get gravel in your shoes. Second, they provide more protection when you do those inevitable ankle rolls in the streambed rocks. NRS has an great guarantee for the life of the boots also. Just my $.02.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I've also wet waded during the summer and I love it! I buddy of mine had some neopreme socks he wore under his wading shoes. That way, he had the benefits of the felt soles and still stayed cool. That outfit sucked for hiking however.

See you on the water!

ES
[signature]
You know it Kayote! I picked up a pair of dive boots. They are 6.5m.m. where I have poor circulation to my feet, they work wonderfully. I can go out in the Uinta river with just the boots and jeans. I would wear shorts, but my legs haven't seen the sun in over a decade. Just the glare would scare off anything in the water.

The Green is still a little too cold for me to just wear the boots up there. I prefer a good 5m.m. suit for there. I have been wondering about the breathable "dry" waders, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll give them a try next year.
[signature]
I have all ways used my pale green Nike aqua-socks but they are getting old and to start with don't have much support. I know that you have told me, but how much do NRS booties cost. I have a little spending cash after my pro bass order.
[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
I like to use Teva-like sandals that cinch up tight over Neoprene booties. Convertible pants that zip to shorts or down to knee water "resistant" shorts work well, too. Some times I use my Hodgman lite felt bottom boots but they are BIG and clumsy. Now all of the above is for streams to no deeper than mid-thigh. Deeper than that or with float tube it's Neoprene chest waders with hospital scrub bottoms underneath. That's my two pennies!!!
[signature]
Curtisfish,

You will love the breathable waders. The Simms Guideweights are probably about the best on the market. They are also about the most expensive (very pricey). I had some Hodgeman's that leaked the first time out. Orvis has good middle of the price range breathables and they come with a lifetime guarantee. I have friends that recommend the Cabela's brand. I wouldn't let my dog wear my old neoprenes now. No comparison. If you have the cash or find a good sale, the Simm's are indestructable, mine have never leaked a drop. I like the breathables because you don't sweat at all and you have great freedom of movement. Get them a little large so you can layer in the winter. They also work great in the Yak. Just my $.02.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Tindude,

They have a whole range from about $30 to $70. My Yak booties are $39 and the wading ones in the pic are $50. Just do a search for Northwest River Supply. You coming out this weekend?.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Hey Kayote,
I'll check out that site, thanks. No . we won't be coming out this weekend. We will be out next weekend. Do you and Kayote II want to do some fishing.
[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
K2 is in Florida. I may be up for it though.

Kayote
[signature]