Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
waders and fins
Hey I have decided before it gets too cold I need to start watching for some good waders and some bigger fins so I don't have to work so hard to move. does anyone have any advice or some second hand fins for a great price? I normally wear size 8 and a half shoes.

Jed
[signature]
[cool]You should page back through some of our past threads on the various features of fins and how to select them. If you are going for the budget at this point, then used will get you started. Just be sure you buy them larger than your usual shoe size...especially if you will be wearing neoprene waders and/or boots of any kind. Suddenly your size 8 1/2 feet become 10s or 12s.

It is important to have a good fit, without being too tight. Otherwise you will get foot cramps and cold feet from constriction. I usually advise tubers to take their waders when they go shopping for fins, and make sure they can stuff everything inside before they buy.

There are a surprising number of skin divers in Salt Lake area. I would suggest contacting some of the dive shops and seeing if they have any rental equipment they are selling off. That happens a lot at the end of the warm weather seasons. Also, get out and cruise some yard sales. If I had known you were looking, I could have scored a good pair for you last week for $20...that are $100 new. I guess I should snap that stuff up when I see it, because there is always somebody looking.

You might also post on the BFT buy and sell board for Utah. Maybe you can find someone who is upgrading or bailing out of the tubing business.

If you find something, be sure to check the straps. If they are cracked with age, either do not buy them, or get at least a $5 discount for a new pair of straps.
[signature]