Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to wear under my wader?
[cool][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Hey tubers,[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Okay so now that I have received some good advise as to what to look [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]for in a good wader and footwear. Now I have to ask what kind of the [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]clothing does one wear underneath the wader. I guess before I go out to [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]a given lake it would be best to call [/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]and find out about the water [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]temperature. So lets say the temp is 45ยบ how do you dress?[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]So, you're putting the finishing touches on your tubing wardrobe, huh? Well, as with most aspects of gearing up, there are lots of different personal preferences. But, there are some basic considerations upon which you can choose your own options.

I seem to recall you were leaning toward the lightweight waders, rather than neoprenes. That is my own personal preference. It lets you stay dry in warmer temperatures, without the "sauna" effect. However, with proper layering, using the right materials, you can also fish comfortably in colder waters.

Just like any outdoor activity, layering is the key issue. You want as much warmth as possible, with the minimum in bulk. Traditionally, wool has been the fibre of choice for the ultimate in warmth, but it is also bulky and you do not want scratchy wool next to bare skin. A thin layer of absorbent cotton thermal undies is an aid to comfort, and can be all the insulation you need under a pair of sweat pants on many trips. I tend to prefer comfortable and loose fitting sweats to harder finish cotton or wool pants.

If you wander through the clothing section of a major sports outlet, you will find modern fabric insulated wear that can put some serious scorch marks on your plastic cards. If you have the "net spendable", and like technology, much of this stuff is light and highly effective. However, for the average tuber, it is possible to fish both economically and comfortably, without maxing out your credit lines.

I am thrifty, but not cheap. I would rather pay a little more than I would like to...than not quite enough. But, I do not spend over a hundred dollars for a full suit of high tech thermies. I tend to pack a bag with a couple of pairs of sweat pants and a pair of "fleece" for a top layer. Once I get to the destination, I can take a water temp reading and layer accordingly.

In Arizona, the coldest midwinter water temps are about 50 degrees. With the neoprene boots on my lightweight waders, I need only two layers of socks. I wear a pair of special hiking socks as the first layer, than a heavier layer of quality wool socks. If I have large enough fin foot pockets to take all of this bulk, without constriction, my feet remain comfortable. If they are cramped, it doesn't matter how many layers of wool I have on, my feet will get cold and cramped.

In the coldest waters of winter, I wear a layer of cotton or nylon thermals and then a pair of new (fluffy) sweat pants...with a final layer of the fleece pants. I seldom feel the chill of the water...especially in the higher seating of my Fat Cat. Sitting lower, in a round tube or mini pontoon, one's midsection is immersed deeper in the water, and you are more subject to chilling.

That brings up another point. Much of your body heat is lost from your head. Wear a warm wool hat on cold days and your body will stay warmer. Similarly, a pair of fingerless "ragg wool" gloves will keep warm blood flowing into the fingers, without interfering with tackle operation or sensitivity. Wool retains its warmth properties even when damp. Cotton does not. On trips where you are likely to handle a lot of fish and get your gloves both wet and slimy, carry one or two extra pairs of the wool gloves. it is great to be able to change into them when the cold breezes of winter chill your hands. Just be sure to remove the soiled gloves from your craft and properly launder them before the next trip...or you will have to fish upwind of yourself.

Back to the midsection. I layer on top, much like the bottom. I start with the layer of thin thermals, followed by a cotton tee shirt and then sweat shirt or light jacket. If you have trouble with core temp chilling, pick up a lightweight insulated vest to wear beneath the top layer. As a day warms up, you can shed a layer or two on top...stowing the removed articles in a waterproof plastic bag in your back pockets. It's easier to take it off if you don't need it, than to put it on if you don't have it.

Always carry a lightweight rain jacket and/or windbreaker. If you get wet on top, you are done...unless you enjoy hypothermia.

So, you don't have to spend a lot of extra money to dress for cold water tubing. Just be conscious of the bulk, and make sure your waders and fins are large enough to fit comfortably when you add the extra layers. I always double check and readjust my fin straps when I am changing my gear for the changing seasons. That makes a difference in the comfort and can insure against loss of fins, or broken straps.

Anybody else? What did I leave out?
[signature]
[cool] Hey TubeDad, I think you just about covered it all except for the Diet Pepsi and the Peppermint Schnapps or Hot Buttered Rum. [crazy][crazy][crazy]hiiiick.
[signature]
[cool]Ah, yes, esteemed son. Liquid refreshments can be pleasant, and vital to replacing fluids lost to perspiration. However, as you well know, that which goes in must come out. And, once processed within the body, liquids are not desirable within one's waders.

TubeDude's law of liquid mechanics goes thusly: "Any liquid taken in by a float tube person, expands to at least ten times the original volume...usually when the person is farthest from the shoreline and/or a convenient facility."
[signature]
[cool][cool] I could almost see a new marketing idea. "Tubing Toilets" sounds good but we would have to do something when it comes to the final paperwork. hee hee
[signature]
[cool]UNCANNY. I have been trying to come up with a "solution"...but I have nothing to go on.

Actually, here is an item available on the Tubing Store website: [center]GladderBladder[/center] [left][size 3]The Gladder Bladder is the ultimate personal potty. Worn under the waders, it's use eliminates the need to go to shore for relief. You now have more productive[Image: gladblad.jpg] fishing time with much greater comfort.

The Gladder Bladder also helps each one of us protect the lakes we love from unnecessary pollution. [/size][/left] [ul] [li] [left] No more lost fishing time. [/left] [li] [left] Eliminate water pollution. [/left] [li] [left] Greatly increase personal comfort. [/left][/li][/ul] [indent] [indent] [left]$29.95 [/left][/indent][/indent]
[signature]
[cool][size 4]Hey tubeN2,
Your tubing toilet sounds like a good idea. Should the tube reach all the way to shore? ha,ha. [Wink]
If one has a disability they could opt for one of the attached to motor from their car to the lakes edge.[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=452;]
[signature]
[cool][size 4]Hey TubeDude,[/size]

[size 4]Thanks for the info. From all the info that you sent to me & that I am saving, your book should be finished pretty soon.[/size]

[size 4]Heard that clothing made of cotton is not the best way to go since it retains moisture and negates the effect of the breathability of the wader. Whats is your take on that?[/size]

[size 4]Inadvertantly sent a response to tubeN2 on the tubing toilet. See below.[/size]
[signature]
[cool]Hey, DR, I use cotton primarily during cooler months, to help wick away perspiration. In the cold water sessions, you are right. Use something else besides cotton.

Among some outdoors groups...notably mountain climbers...there is a saying "COTTON KILLS"...referring to the non-insulating properties of cotton, compared to wool, goretex, thinsulate or other materials.

Loved the pic of the "porta potty". FOR THOSE WHO NEED TO GO ON THE GO. I would have to see the specs on the mileage though.
[signature]
[cool]If'n ya don' wanna spring fer an xtry vehicle, you kin always pop for an "Uncle Booger's Bumper Dumper". Check the website at [url "http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm"]http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm[/url]

[Image: road8.jpg]
[signature]
[cool] hey Dryrod,

I think you might be able to float that if you can get a donut big enough. Thanks for the insight.
[signature]
Dryrod,

Drawing from my skiing and other outdoor activities, my suggestion is "synthetic, synthetic and synthetic."

In order for your breathable or Gore-Tex waders to work correctly, you must wear a wicking layer under your wader, even in warm weather. Bare skin against the plastic-like interior of the wader would make the wader clammy.

Synthetic draws moisture from your skin and transport it to the outside of the fabric where it then goes out of the wader. Another big plus is that synthetic does not retain moisture so if the fabric gets wet it will dry quickly. Furthermore, they still insulate even when wet...unlike cotton which stays wet and makes you cold.

You can find synthetic in many brands and types. They are basically all made of variations of polyester. You can get Polar Fleece types fairly cheap. Other well known fabrics are Coolmax, Thermastat, MTS, or the expensive Capilene by Patagonia. You can find many of these synthetic underwear on clearance in places that sell camping clothing. Try Sierra Trading Post, REI, etc. Get a lightweight for summer and heavy weight, expedition weight or Polar Fleece 300 weight for winter.

As for socks, same thing...go synthetic. Thorlo, Smartwool, etc, etc..

Ahimanic