Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
winter flies
I haven't ever done much fishing later in the year before, so I am wondering what works well.

What are some of your favorite patterns for the rivers and streams?

Dries?

Nymphs?
[signature]
I like the small #28 to #32 midges.
But Serendipity, Zebra, WD40's, Barr's emerger.
Just think smaller. I also like Cripples as dries.
[signature]
hey sis.. just curious.. over the years I have seen you post the same response of think small... is there a particular reason why small works better this time of year??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Match the Hatch is all. Snow flies. OH and never forget the Scuds...year round baby.

#18 BWO are a must too
[signature]
#18 I can see, but for #28 to #32 I am going to need a microscope to even tie it on!!![shocked][laugh] What pound tippet do you have to use?
[signature]
I don't use smaller than 6X..
[signature]
thats like a 4# fluoro line correct sis..

CP ... and if I remember right when the flies get that small tiers sometimes put a small piece of wire in the eye to make it easier to tie your hook on .. course you could always get one of those magnetic fly threaders... suppose to be any size line and hook...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
6X is more 3lb but depends on Company. A general math is 9 minus X equals pound, but they all vary slightly.

And yes those 20/20 magnetic threaders work great EVEN with a 30.
[signature]
sorry... I thought it was 10 - the x value... but 3 or 4.. still a small line...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
They tie a wire on?

I have used the metal threaders before, but some hooks are even too small for them.

I almost forgot that I have a 20/20 magnetic threader. I don't use it very often obviously, but it is great for the little buggers!
[signature]
I use fine wire folded in half and threaded through the eye. It is basically a threader, but definitely not as strong. But you are right, the 30's can't be done.
[signature]
lol.... what FG said ... not tie it on but loop it thru to use as a threader.. sorry for the misunderstanging.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Well I didn't think so, but you never know. I learn new ways of doing things everyday! What threw me was that you said "tiers" put a wire through the eye. [blush]

I have often thought that the old old old method of salmon flies where the hook has no eye and the tier puts a silk loop on, is a kind of cool way of doing things.
[signature]
I think it is coming back. Plus the TUBE flies are becoming very popular. They are cool, one hook and any fly.
[signature]
I have seen the tube flies in articles before, but I haven't quite figured out what the real advantage is. Is it just that the fly doesn't get chewed up as much?
[signature]
are you talking about flies like those little minnows you sent me last summer... ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Advantages are quick change (specially for those that switch from fresh to salt)
You mainly use short shank hooks, but this opens the door to many....even a treble [crazy]
You can adjust the weight of the fly with different tubes.

Better hook ups and your fly doesn't get beat up.

You basically have your hook on a tippet with a loop to loop to a leader. You just slide whatever fly on the tippet and connect to the leader, simple.

I am going to try them I think. More for stillwater though. I will stick to small Traditional for rivers.
[signature]
Hmmm, I might try some leeches or woolly Buggers. Might be good for color and fly prospecting. Where do you get the tubing?
[signature]
Any of the fly shops have the tubing. But the starter for my Vise looks like $100. then all the tubes both metal and rubber...could be expensive...wonder if it is worth it.
[signature]
Check this out:

http://www.hmhvises.com/tubeflyguide.pdf

Towards the middle there is a nymph...very cool.
[signature]