Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8/21 LBSF Native Sun
[#000099][size 2]8/21 LBSF Native Sun
[/size][/#000099]

[font "Verdana"][#000099][size 2]Fished with Capt Ed on the am & pm run to the outside oil rigs I guest that this is part of the Izor reef.
AM run was steady pick on 10-15in Sculpin on the dropper loop but I used a yo/yo blue/white heavy iron this got me most of my fish.
On the PM run the sculpin got bigger 2-4lb and W/O, blue/white heavy iron and the dropper loop tiped with a red flak plastic curly tail did really well this way you don't have to make return trips for live bait. Remember the limit is five fish and ten inches

See you on the water[/size][/#000099][/font]
[signature]

Hi FTRDeckhand,

Thank you for your usual fine report. I saw that a number of sporties did well on our little prickly friends. Nice sizes too. I believe the PM limited out if I remember right.

What was the chovie size like? Does LBSF offer 1/2 off on an AM/PM re-ride? or for that matter a PM/Twilight re-ride?

Again, thanks

JapanRon
[signature]
Those are great to catch but very nasty to get off the hook [shocked] I was on a boat and the sculpin had been in the bag all day and I guess they thought it was dead and the deckhead went to clean it and as he was getting ready to cut off the spines it jumped and stuck him about 4 times.

They cleaned out the wound with freshwater and soap and he got alittle sick but I heard he was ok later.
[signature]
ahaha I think we all have our sculpin stories. one time, another deckhand on the pursuit was taking out the hook on a sculpin. he was holding him by the bottom lip. he got the hook out and went to go and cut the spines. the fish squirmed and fell so that his spines went straight in THROUGH his boots! oh man was this guy in pain. I can't believe that the spines went through.

joe
[signature]
See that is what I thought was weird. I have been out on alot fo different boats in the past and usually if you are going to keep the sculpin the deckhand would cut the spine off before you put it in the bag.

Otherwise when you put other fish in or reach in to show and friend or whatever you get stuck. Now I have not heard of anyone dying from a sting on a boat but I have heard of people getting very sick afterwards.

Crazy [cool]
[signature]
I got stung a couple of times, but I only got all swolen in the area that i was stung and a little bit of a head ache.

nothing too serious.

joe
[signature]

Hey there DH_tubinjoe,

Sculpin Stories:

I can get stuck by sculpin all day long without a reaction other than a tiny red pinprick but let me tangle with a sea chicken and get pecked, clawed or stuck with the barbs on their wings and I have an infection for two weeks.

On Dan Hernandez one week they did a close up of this deckhand taking a pair of dikes and honestly ripping off all the fins, part of the gill plates, honest... everything that was sticking out of the fishes body. When I saw that I thought good grief the animal rights guys would like to get a hold of that. Then I thought what are little kids going to go on their first fishing trip and wonder if they are gonna see something like that.

Sorry Dan! I just had to speak my mind on that one. I understand the intent of the demonstration but .... to non-anglers and soft-hearted guys like me it could have been done with a more careful trimming technique.

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 1]>What was the chovie size like? Does LBSF offer 1/2 off on an AM/PM re-ride? or for >that matter a PM/Twilight re-ride? [/size]

Hi Ron

Bait was small, and yes LBSF gives me half price on all same day re-rides they told me it was because I am a nice guy, but for you it's double. [Wink]
[signature]

Hey there FTRDeckhand,

Dang, Double is what they make me pay NOW! Does that mean I gotta put out 4 times the amount of cash of regular guys?!

JapanRon
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]Yea [/size][/#0000ff]your right 4X, and you can get into the JP but are ban from winning it AND you have to bring donuts for the radio [size 1]personalities[/size] who [size 1]usually[/size] fish on thursday. ha ha[Wink]

i
[signature]