Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drought Fishing Alternatives
[cool]My whacko son (runs in the family) in California posted this link on the float tubing board...as a potential fishing outlet for when the water is gone or you can't get a "pass" from the head of the house to go fishing.

[url "http://www.conknet.com/~b_bull/special/chickenfishing.html"]http://www.conknet.com/~b_bull/special/chickenfishing.html[/url]

Might double as a way to score some good feathers for fly tying.
[signature]
My sides hurt from laughing. [Smile]
[signature]
Thats A great Idea! I once saw a guy accidently catch a seagull at Deep Creek. It broke his line after a few good runs.
[signature]
[cool]There are a few guys on the Utah forum that have had experience on the live bait boats in California. Seagulls there are called "chickens of the sea", and it is not uncommon to hook up with seagulls and other fish eating sea birds that dive bomb a "fly lined" bait.

I think I would rather hook a seagull than a grebe. There used to be a lot of grebes that hung around the mouth of the Jordan, when the spring runoff (remember that) was shoving a lot of water (and small fish) down the river. I would be casting for walleyes and hooked several of those red eyed grebes. As soon as I got them close they would go on the attack, with those sharp beaks. One of my fishing buddies almost had one get him in the eye. No thanks.

I joke about the "dry fly" fishing down here in Arizona...for lizards. You gotta use frogs or hair mice for the snakes...bunny jigs for coyotes and big worms (snakes) for roadrunners. Don't laugh. It's just about all we got left.

Hey...any of you guys ever fish for bullfrogs with a fly rod? I used to score some great froglegs by tossing a little weedless frog on the bank of small ponds, where the big bullfrogs set up ambush just off the bank in the weeds and algae. They would jump out of the water, jam the lure in their mouths with their forelegs and leap back into the water. Had so much fun I almost croaked. (Boooooo)
[signature]
never fished bullfrogs with a flyod but when i was living in texas we used to use a long cane pole with a peice of red ribbon on a hook and jiggle it in there face until they would grab it

chris
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, that's a tried and true method around the country. I discovered the flyrod thing by accident, while buggin' for bass and bluegill on a farm pond in California. The fish were not cooperating but the big frogs were aggressive and hungry. I have since used different flies and bugs to good effect. I have even caught a few frogs on floating Rapalas. Those big kickers eat anything that doesn't eat them first. And a big item on the menu of big frogs is usually little frogs.
[signature]
You can always try your luck at "flushin"[sly] got that from one of the articles in a bass mag I read. Cast at a "bowl" with those high pressure jets and hit the lever. Hold on those sewer bass pull like heck. Never tried it but I hear it get the adreneline going[Smile]
[signature]
[cool]Tried that. All I got were "browns".
[signature]
You guys are a hoot, my side hurt laughng so much.

Hey TD what's the biggest brown you ever caught?

In the Navy we called them torpedoes
[signature]
[cool]Never kept or measured any. Not into that kinky stuff. Strictly barbless hooks...catch and release only.

Just guessing, but I don't think they would be good table fare. However, I suppose they would be okay to keep if you buried them in the garden.

(Man, some of us have far too much time on our hands these days. )
[signature]