Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video Hunt
I'm going to try to catch my hunt on video this year. This will be my first attempt at this so anyone else out there that has some experience with this please feel free to post any tips you think i may need.

I have a digital video cam. That can take about 8 mins of video at a time before i have to manauly start a new file. My idea is to catch a little bit of footage of the "coffee" at grandpas before we go out... walk to the blind... hopefully some footage of deer coming in... and then of course taking the big buck down (I wish)

Taking batteries... and a couple extra memory clips. In total I should be able to get about 45 mins of video.

hints... suggestions... are more than welcome.. post away !!!
[signature]
collecting footage is easy, your biggest thing will be the edditing. and having a third person handy to actualy opperate the camera.

Do you have sound as well on your camera as well? If so wind will be a major factor, making all kinds of unwanted noises drowning out any thing you may want to convey.

here is 10 things that should help you with your project...

[ol][li]make your self a story board, Remember, most seins are only a few seconds long, 5-30. Much of your footage will end up on the cutting room floor. so be sure not to record anything of little importance. "aka, walks down the trail to your seat in the woods. Save that kind of footage for actualy tracking down your deer.[/li][li]Comic releif is always good stuff to add in your vidio, Grumpy old men getting out of bed in the morning scratching their bums on the way to the can, or the get out of my face while I am on the can, or toast flying while trying to eat breakfast... "dont make it up because we can spot a fake a mile away.[/li][li]Avoid the blair witch syndrom, meaning if your camera is bobbing around, those of us who suffer from motion sickness will emeadiatly turn the vidio off. Try to keep your panning as smooth as posible. Standing still while filming will help, you can use your zoom if you need to get a closer veiw[/li][li]Dont worie about your white ballance, you dont have one.[laugh][/li][li]Dont bite my head off, we hate pictures that have torso's walking like the headless horseman.[/li][li]Pre-select your veiwing angles and such if you are the one running the camera and plan on getting in the sein, for instance your coffee in the morning, find a spot that the camera will give you the best angle with just the right amount of zoom advance to get in the seen that what is important. It ok to walk in to a room and circle around the table and set the camera down on a pre-positioned location and walk over to your seat, Just remember you only need a few seconds of this.. So after your visual plesentries get back up and shut off the camera and save your batteries and chip space.[/li][li]Each file will be a seperate vidio unless you have some edding tools programing that came along with your camera that can help you tie them together in to a veiwable format.[/li][li]take a small jurnal to document what you filmed in the order you filmed it and which chip it is on, wich means be sure to give your chips names like "1" or "A" or "Cabin - Feild - Tracking" 1 or A types of lables are best this way you dont have to fumble around to switching back and forth chips.. A detailed journal of what you filmed will help you not only with edditing but will help you to be sure you are gathering all the content you wanted to cover in your story board.[/li][li]Probably a little late now, but a trypod can help you get shots when you dont have a third person handy to film for you. This will allow you to reach over and gingerly turn on the camera and hit the record button, That is if your blind will allow you the fredom of a little movement out of veiw of your intended target.[/li][li]Dont film your selves with other girlfriends, those types of footage always gets discovered and used in divorce cort.[:p][/li][/ol]hope you find this helpfull, it is a crash corse in filming in thirty seconds...[cool]
[signature]