Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Safety
I heard about a guy who drowned up in Northern California because he was tubing in the ocean with waders and the water went up over his waders and slowly filled them up.

When they were to heavy he slipped out and drown trying to get out of his waders because they believe he [size 1]panicked[/size].

Good idea is to use a wetsuit when in heavy conditions or not go out [Smile]

Keep some safety gear with you too. Whistle, Life Jacket and pop flares and of course a knife.

I put together a safety kit for like $20 with a whistle, pop flares and inflatable life vest. I did this when I first started tubing years ago. I was drifting around in Anaheim Bay and a huge boat did not see me, if I did not have my whistle he would of ran me over [unsure]

So remember safety safety.

Joe C
[signature]
[cool]Those are good points. I have a soon to be published book (I hope) on float tubing, and I suggest a lot of those same things. I also recommend flashlight, matches, first aid kit, etc. You can run out of available pocket space fast, but you can run out of luck if you put yourself in harm's way, without the means to get back out in the event of a problem.

On the whistle thing...I recommend a cheap air horn...especially if you do any night fishing.
[signature]
[cool][size 4]Hey TubeDude,[/size]

[size 4]I like the idea of an air horn. Boaters might not pay attention to a whistle but something with an air horn might be bigger than them.[/size]
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, and if you are diabolical (Who? Moi?), you can kick quietly up beside a boat where a little "party" is going on and give a load blast with the air horn. If you don't die laughing at the pandemonium, you are likely to either get shot or run over when they chase you down.

On a serious note, it can happen that you get swept away from shore by sudden winds, currents or rip tides...depending on where you are fishing. A series of three blasts is the universal distress signal, and can help summon help from others within earshot. The human voice does not carry well in high winds...especially when others might be in a noisy old boat.

Here's a link to a website that lists "sports horns" for under $8...compact and loud...with the sound carrying up to a mile. I'm betting they are available lots of places...like boat shops, sports outlets, etc.

[url "http://www.heckledepot.com/heckling101.shtml"]http://www.heckledepot.com/heckling101.shtml[/url]
[signature]
Hey TubeDude! In reading through a number of these posts, I realized that I had better ask a question about tube repair. I received the Fish Cat 4 tubes I ordered (my wife is excited) and I was not sure about getting a repair kit. I’ve read your comments about Aquaseal and was wondering if that is the way I should go. I’ve seen the repair kits sold by Outcast, but didn’t know if the Outcast kits were any good. Do you have any experience with these? Does Aquaseal also work with waders?

I was also wondering about tube leaks. How common are they? I don’t know how my wife will feel about getting out in the tube if the tube will be springing small leaks frequently. Also, do you know if life vests are required to be worn in Utah? I didn’t know if the vest had to be on, or if I could just have one on the tube somewhere. Do you have any recommendations on the best type of life vest to be used when float tubing?

Well, we are almost ready to join the world of float tubing. We have our tubes, fins, sonar, and a few other goodies as well. I still have to get around to getting some fly line, nets, rod/fish finder mount, anchor, and other small accessories, but they will need to wait for another payday or two. Before I forget, I also wanted to let you know that I was able to pick up a mounting bracket for the Cuda 168 I had mentioned to you (the one with the missing mounting bracket). It ended up being free, so I was happy with that.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]AquaSeal is penicillin for tubers. It repairs waders, tubes, kiddie pools, holes in vinyl seats and lately, even my wife's rubber sandals. I don't know anyone who has spent the extra money for the outcast repair kits that have felt they got their money's worth...especially after using AquaSeal to repair holes that their repair kit wouldn't fix.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With proper care and treatment, you should not have to worry about many (any) leaks in the air chamber of your Outcast craft. Don't set them down on "unfriendly" terrain or drag them if you don't have to. I used my Super Fat Cat last January as a sled, after a heavy snow fall at Lincoln Beach, but I always carry it to and from the water otherwise.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Keep loose hooks, knives and other pointy things out of the pockets. Make sure everything is contained or it will find a way to dig in through the cover and into the air chamber. When fishing for large and/or spiny fish, be sure to use a good net to control them before lifting them aboard. Also, be careful when bringing in small spiny fish, like perch, bluegill, white bass or crappies (or bullheads). Don't lower them onto your craft, and be careful not to let them fall off the hook and onto the surface of your ride. Their spines make pinhole leaks that will make your air chambers leak but are hard to find.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You are required to HAVE a PFD on your tube, but not required to wear it at all times. I have a Stearns floating vest and I keep it in the open V right behind the seat. A lot of serious "flotation fishermen" buy those SOSpenders. They are great and not bulky, but they are spendy. Actually, any approved vest will work for satisfying the requirements. But, while you are at it, get ones that are good enough to save your life (or someone elses) if they are needed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you were able to get the free mounting bracket for the sonar. That REALLY makes it a good deal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pop back in if you need any more help.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the response TubeDude . I don't know if I'll be using my fish cat as a sled anytime soon, but it's good to know I have the option should the need arise. [Smile]

I had an additional question about the AquaSeal. I've never used this, so I'm not sure how it is sold. I found the company website listing local retailers, but I'm not sure if there is a "best" place to get it. Also, are there a variety of types to chose from? If so, what do you recommend? Will I need to mix the AquaSeal with anything, or does it come out ready to be applied to the area with the leak? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks,

Frank
[signature]
I found this at REI's website regarding AquaSeal. Is this what I will need for my tube?

[url "http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47539044&parent_category_rn=40000253&vcat=REI_SEARCH"]http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47539044&parent_category_rn=40000253&vcat=REI_SEARCH[/url]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yep. That's the stuff. You can find it at the same price at Sportsmans and other local retail outlets. No sense paying shipping if you don't have to.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
There is also "generic" version of aqua seal that is about 2 or 3 dollars cheaper that is the exact same thing as aqua that I picked up at a sporting goods store here. I just cant remember the name of it[unsure]
[signature]