Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about trying ice fishing
Can you tell me a little more about ice fishing air conditions?

Are the gas powered augers mostly two stroke?

Are there many people that build wood fires?

Does the fumes from the augers or fires hang in over the lakes?

Thanks!
[signature]
Most augers are 2 stroke, but there are 4 strokes and I use an Electric auger.

Years ago there use to be a lot of fires built to stay warm, but with the new ice fishing huts and propane heaters, I have not seen a fire in a long time.

Normally the fumes do not hang around. It really depends on the weather. If there is a slight breeze no problem. Some of the best times to go ice fishing is during a temperature inversion when the valleys are cold and full of smog. The higher lakes and reservoirs will be warm and the sky will be clear.
[signature]
Thanks, I was kind of thinking that there was less and less of the fires going on, but I haven't been to many of the area's lakes when they are frozen lately.
[signature]
If you have a serious problem with fumes, you can get a snorkel/exhaust for your auger. Then when you cut holes in an ice house you simply put the hose out the door. I haven't ever used one, but I have seen them.

I think the best option if you can afford them are the electric augers. Ice gator and Strikemaster both make them. I think tubedude has the strikemaster. Low noise, no smoke.

I have never had a problem with the exhaust lingering on the ice. I have had a problem getting it to blow out of my ice house.

Windriver
[signature]