Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walking on Water 11/13/10
Took a short trip with the wife to see if I could get the itch to get on the hard deck to go away. Well, the first choice lake I was heading too... lets just say I didn't make it. Got most of the way there, and the snow got a bit deeper than I wanted (only snowmobiles had been on this road previously). So, I back down and a little over halfway back to the highway, front tire comes off the road and we are in the snow drift. After a bit of digging, I get the truck back on the road, but it is not wanting to go back into the ruts to get back down the hill. Well, with the help off a nice cross-country skier, I got it back on track. Now, new plan, fish somewhere right off the highway. First stop, maybe 1 1/2" of ice.. no good. So, to save the trip I did find a lake with about 2 1/2". So, we put in a couple hours of fishing. Not as fast and furious action as I planned on, but we each caught 5 or 6 little tigersand rainbows. Nice to get on the ice. Even got a nice cow elk to pose for a picture on the way home. Not a bad way to spend a mid-November Saturday.
[signature]
Thanks for the report! Can't wait to hit it myself!
[signature]
im gettin pretty excited to get on the ice too! but im way too much of a wuss to get out there on 2.5"
[signature]
Nice report n pics[cool] looks like the first report of the ice season very nice. And if ya dont mind me askin where was this?
[signature]
Not that it is much of a "secret" , but it was in the uintas. Any more specific, throw me a PM.
[signature]
I'm not so much a wuss, I'm just too fat for 2 1/2".

I don't know why but my buddies are always letting me be the first one out on the ice. They're just the most courteous fellows.[:/]
[signature]
Atleast you know they got your back!! Haha Wink
[signature]
Wow, I think this makes you the first BTF member to hit the ice this Fall/Winter. Nice catches too.[cool]
This will be my second year ice fishing. I have been wondering how does one know if the ice is safe. I am guessing you are drilling as you go to test for thickness.?
What is the rule for clear ice?
[signature]
[:p]Sure am glad there's so many secrets on this forum! I thought this forum was supposed to be all about learning and helping the fellow sportsman, and promoting our heritage. I know how I fill about some of my hot spots but I'm always willing to help those that want to know, it's not like those were really great slimers anyway. Where would we all be without some of the guy's like Tube Dude and Bassrods and many of the others that are all helpful to all?

Think about it!!!!!!!!
[signature]
To test for ice thickness, you use what a lot of people call a 'spud bar'. Basically, a heavy metal bar, about 4'-5' long with a chisel/pointed end and you strike the ice ahead of you as you walk along. If the bar goes through and hopefully you're still standing on good ice, it's time to turn around and walk back the way you came.

For clear ice, 3" of clear ice is sufficient to hold a person or a group of persons spread out. 4" is generally considered safe for a larger group. Again, you should test for any spots that may look questionable.
One thing nice about BFT is that members are free to share as much or as little info as they wish, please do not give fellow members a hard time just because they do not wish to share every piece of info they have. This member has already stated he will share info in a PM but you still feel you need to give him a hard time, not cool[unimpressed].
WH2
[signature]
[mad]Didn't give him a hard time, just stated the facts.
[signature]
Plus 1
[signature]
Dude, with only 35 posts you might want to wait a little while before calling some one out for not completely disclosing a location. You also want exact GPS coordinates of his ice holes, pictures of his jigs, depth of his jigs, video on how he fished and store where he bought the bait?!

He already told you the general area where he fished and enough of a description that if you fished up there at all you could still probably find the exact lake and where he fished.

If many of you haven't noticed, some of the best fishermen who actually catch trophy fish have stopped posting on here. There is another more exclusive forum where all these anglers continue to post, but they can do so without worrying about being harassed for not disclosing exact location, lure, etc. And you have to be a contributing member to view reports.

Fishing forums like BFT won't continue to be super successful as most good fishermen don't want to reveal all their secrets to the masses, especially when you don't have to be a contributing member to read the reports. There is nothing like trying to help out and disclosing a secret spot and then finding a dozen novice fishermen who haven't put in the time ruining the spot. BFT is great for general information and beginners but you aren't going to find many specifics in landing big fish and hopefully it stays that way. Big fish and secret spots take work, study, time, money and effort. Why do so many fishermen think they deserve to have big fish and secret locations just handed to them?!
[signature]
Sour grapes.[:p][:p][blush]

Sorry bud, but bowhunter3 really has not kept anything secret. Just wait till the ice season is in full force. You will see that he and plenty other fishermen on this forum(including me) will also give some very good general information that if your clever about it you probably could go fish out of there ice holes the next day. On the other hand as you probably already noticed, there are other fishermen on this board(including me) that fish in places that should never be disclosed on an open forum. Get used to it, cause I dont think that will be changing anytime soon. I still have not decided weather or not to enter the ice fishing contest this year due to the rule that you have to disclose the location of the lake your fishing on. I feel that in order to give it a good effort and be in the running for first I would have to be lucky on the big lakes and catch some 24+ inch trout in a couple categories or go to some lakes that I know harbor larger than average fish but I would have to disclose the location, and possibly ruin some great fishing holes that I can usually count on having mostly to myself for the entire year. NOT TO MENTION HOW MANY BRIDGES I WOULD BURN when everybody(the ones who already know about it) finds out that you OUTED the secret lake. Nobody would share any secrets with me anymore. That make sense? Think about it........

Quote: it's not like those were really great slimers anyway.
perfect example of extremely Sour Grapes. I am not trying to make any enemies but this comment really doesnt sit well with me. Those fish are from a Uinta Mountain lake for hells sake. Give the man some credit. After all this is supposed to be a site promoting our heritage and helping out our fellow sportsmen, not dissin on somebodys dinky trouser trout.....lol

Last and not least if you really want to know where he was send him a PM or check his thread out on the ice fishing contest forum. Easy as fish eye pie. [fishin]
[signature]
I completely agree with you on this one about the ice fishing contest. I have a few spots that produce big fish through the ice and a couple other small places that I will try this year. I don't like having to report the lake requirement but if I enter, I may just save those fish until the end of the competition and then post them if I have to if I have a chance to win.

It would be nice if you only had to give a general area that you fished.

If you want to ice fish right now, drive up mirror lake HWY and go at it. Lots of 8-12 inch fish and a lot of work to get there.
[signature]
VERY NICELY PUT!!!!!!!
[signature]
First of all, I don't expect anyone to give me all the details of their fishing adventures, and secondly I wasn't wanting the info for myself. I just thought that bowhunter3 could of disclosed the name of the lake to the person asking. Didn't expect anymore details then that.

Also that crap of not having enough posts on this forum to voice my opinion really shocks me. I guess a person that is fairly new to this sight is just a nobody and has no credentials, right. I'm obviously on the wrong forum if thats the case. I've been fishing and hunting in several states for nearly 50 years and don't need anyone to tell me about putting in my time, hard work, and money so I can be successful. You need to put a lid on it unless you know what and whom your talking to because I know exactly what your saying.

Gone-Fish'in
[signature]
Come on buddy. Enter the challenge.
[signature]
Your free to have a opinion just allow bowhunter3 the same courtesy. With a little work it isn't that hard to find where he was fishing as he posted the name of the lake in another post.
[signature]