Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet sled mods
Thought I would share some of the mods I have been doing to make getting on the ice simpler and lighter.
Of course my addiction to PVC carries over from my "toon".

I used to carry chairs and and bunches of stuff. It was a heaping mess to try and tie it all in.
[inline "Elio, Scott & Me Carey Lake 2006 004 (Small).jpg"]
Since then I built a box to hold the gear and some of the PVC started to "grow" on the sled.
[inline "GEDC0075-1 (Small).JPG"]

As we all have seen PVC has a way of multipling and actually grows very quickly.

[inline "full frame work (Small).JPG"]
[inline "setup (Small).JPG"]
Then the wooden gear box needed to cahnge and the stadium seat had become more af a hassle so next came the alluminum PVC sided storage/seat box.

[inline "IMG_4274 (Small).JPG"]

Which also doubles as the rod carrier.

[inline "IMG_4266 (Small).JPG"]

The PVC on the rod handle will be changing soon to spring clip, I will share tose pictures when it completed.

If you notice the rod holders on the corners, they pivot and swing so I can have three holes right by the sled all with in reach of the bench seat and can hold the rod when I move to another location.

I will also be putting the sled on skies to get it to pull even easier, and I am planing on having a mount for the fish finder on the sled as well, pictures to follow latter.

The best par is that it all fits in the back of the Cherokee.

[inline "GEDC0086-1 (Small).JPG"]

Has anyone seen ice yet?
[signature]
i love seeing this kind of stuff. everyone seems to think of something a little bit diffrent. i love your rod holders.
[signature]
nice sled that is very smart thinking any way there is some people ice fishing in utah I guess already ice seems a little thin to me but whatever they said the ice is 2 and a half inches..
[signature]
I like some of your PVC ideas. I will be making some modifications to my sled as well.

Instead of getting lighter I have been busy building a permanent ice house with bunk beds, wood stove and everything. This is mostly for my kids to have a good time. Kind of like a winter cabin without taxes.[cool]

Windriver
[signature]
So where will this winter get away be??
[signature]
2 1/2 " not for this BIG BOY[cool]
[signature]
Ririe.

Windriver
[signature]
I love all the great sled mods!

A friend of mine drown last year fishing paliSades on iffy ice. Please be careful out there! [Image: sad.gif]
[signature]
Thanks and I would love to share ideas. So ask questions or post your mods.
[signature]
Well we got our first snow here in Twin Falls so I decided to continue with my mods to my sled and also some additions to my equipment.

Fist I changed the rod holders on the storage box lid from PVC slide in to spring clamps.

[inline "IMG_4278 (Small).JPG"]

Then I add a mount for my fish finder.

[inline "IMG_4283 (Small).JPG"]

Then I worked on my wind break frame and how to mount it.

[inline "IMG_4284 (Small).JPG"]

My first addition to my equipment is a tip down I had made before but I am trying to improve it of course. It's a little taller than before and I will be tring a sop cord for when the fish hits the lure but doen't seem to be getting hooked up.

Then I made another auto hooker.

[inline "IMG_4281 (Small).JPG"]

[inline "IMG_4282 (Small).JPG"]

Had a good day!

Forgot to mention the skies, thought I would see how it pulls up on skies.
[signature]
A guy I know is getting something similiar ready for production. I did try it out and it was awesome. He had some kinks in the production process that he is working out. I'm not as handy as you are so I am going to buy some from him when he gets them going.

Google: jawjackers fishing Idaho

Looks like you are ready to go. I know I can't wait I should be on the ice sometime in the next week. Crossing my fingers.

Windriver
[signature]
keep us in touch about that auto hooker, i have tried a couple of those that are online but they just never seemed to work well for me. wether the fish were just lipping it or what. i think most of the online versions are made for walleye dont know if that would make a diffrence for trout or not.
[signature]
You might check the regs. I seem to remember reading something about devices that will set the hook for you being illegal.
[signature]
I just read through them and didn't notice anything about an"auto" hooking device or any thing close. Snaging is the closest thing.
[signature]
I don't see it either. Perhaps I am mistaken. I'd swear I saw it somewhere, but I sure don't see it now.
[signature]
I'm going to have to make me some of those auto hookers!

Looks like fun!
[signature]
Got board and with all of this warm weather [frown]thought I would make a few mod as well.Here is a few mod I have done to my sled still mite make a few more. With this warm weather I think I will go float the south fork (snake) until we get some good Ice.[crazy]

Jim
[signature]
Can you be more specific on the autohooker? I don't see how it works.
[signature]
The eye of the rod is "hooked" on the silver "nail", actually it is like setting a mouse trap, the the line is in the grove at the end of the 1/2" pvc ( The 1/2" pvc pivots freely in the 3/4 pvc t's) sorry it's hard to see, as the fish starts to pull on the bait the tension in the line actually cause the 1/2" pvc to rotate down towards the water which in turn staightens the "nail" which then causes the eye to slip off the "nail". It takes a little patience to get the eye to stay hooked and not slip off on it's own, if you set it light for perch or crappie or any other fish that may bite lightly. Anything hitting the bait firmly would cause the eye to slip off the "nail" easily.
[signature]