Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Like buzzbaits? - You've got to try this...
Last year while fishing the Brandywine River in Pennsylvania I decided to remove the skirt from one of my buzzbaits. I had been fishing a buzzbait with a 3 inch Big Hammer trailer for several years. While hiking up the river and staring at my buzzbait I thought to myself, "why am I covering up this natural looking rubber fish with this un-natural looking chartreuse and white skirt?" I also remembered how many times I've seen schools of baitfish swimming just below the surface. What could be better than a lure that makes a bunch of noise to get the fish's attention, then when they look up they see a baitfish swimming just below the surface?

So I took the skirt off, re-rigged the Big Hammer to look as good as possible and proceeded to catch my largest smallmouth bass at 20 inches along with an 18 and a 16 incher. It was the last day of my vacation and didn't have the opportunity to test it further.

This year I put the "Buzz Hammer" to the test. I designated one trip down the Brandywine to fishing the "Buzz Hammer" and comparing it to a regular skirted buzzbait. I had an amazing day with 43 smallmouth bass with 18 of them between 12 and 19 inches. I threw the "Buzz Hammer" most of the time because I couldn't help myself but when I did force myself to throw a regular skirted buzzbait I didn't get nearly the same amount of strikes and didn't hook a single fish. I am now convinced that a 3 inch Big Hammer swimbait underneath a buzzbait blade is a better lure than a standard skirted buzzbait.

I prefer using 1/2 oz. buzzbaits in all situations - whether I am fishing for largemouth or smallmouth bass. It is sometimes difficult to remember when looking at a buzzbait that the only thing the fish really sees is the portion of the bait from the jig head back. The blade is only there for noise and water disturbance. I feel the larger bait puts off more disturbance and glides through the water better.

Rigging:

Since most buzzbaits are not set up for trailers or using them without a skirt a few modifications need to be made. You can do this by using a regular buzzbait and removing the skirt or you can purchase the materials needed to make a buzzbait through a lure making shop such as Stamina Tackle. You will also need some "Hitchhiker" trailer keepers which can also be purchased at Stamina Tackle.

First remove the skirt if necessary. Now using pliers cut off the lead part of the jig head that the skirt was on - leaving a relatively smooth cut just after the head of the bait. Next drill a small hole just above where the hook comes out of the head that is large enough for the "hook end" of the Hitchhiker to go into. Wrap the Hitchhiker around the shank of the hook and insert the "hook end" of the Hitchhiker into the hole. Next melt solder into the hole and secure the Hitchhiker to the base of the jig head.

Now the buzzbait head is ready for attaching the Big Hammer swimbait. Thread the swimbait onto the hook and twist onto the Hitchhiker trailer keeper.

Here's a picture of the bait:
http://www.leapinbass.com/fishing/images/buzzhammer.jpg
[signature]

Hey there LeapinBass,

Here in Southern California, some of us frustrated bass anglers have taken to the back bays, harbor structure, and piers and fished buzzbaits to catch more species than I'll admit to here.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try our Fish Traps and Big Hammers AFTER I thourghly test the whams and Kalin softbaits. I've seen some pretty go lookin' baits here on BFT ad sites that I bet would get those stripers and blues to bite.

JapanRon
[signature]