Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowboy Action Sniper
[font "Times New Roman"]My son Jacob always puts in for a moose every year. That kicks him out of a draw for a buck tag but he does get a Doe tag every year on a youth hunt. His first two were with a Winchester 243. Then he used a hot rod Renegade 50 cal muzzleloader. Last year he used his Great Uncle Jim's Pre 64 Winchester 264 mag. This year he used his grandma's 30-30 Marlin 336. We got an old weaver K-3 scope from his Great Uncle Jim. We used old school weaver rings and bases. This rifle looks like it is period correct for about the early 1960's maybe earlier. The gun shoots 150 gr Sierra's into sub 1 1/2" groups or better. So Jacob decided to try it out the “cowboy action gun” as he calls it. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Today the weather was BAD. It was snowing all day and all last night. The fog was off and on and we could not see at all. At about 2:00 we ran into our first bunch of does and clear weather for a few hours. We circled down wind and came in on top of them. The country is very open but I needed to try to get as close as we could. We crawled into 125 yards and Jacob got a rest on a rock. At the shot the doe was done. One shot one kill cowboy style. This was his favorite hunt I think so far. After I took the pictures I told him to gut it and I would be back with a rope and other gear. When I got back it was cleaned perfectly and then he pulled her out. It was a good ending to a BAD day. Ron[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: 2-10Doe15.jpg][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: 2010Doe55.jpg][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: 2010Doe65.jpg][/font]
[signature]
I am curious. What made it a "BAD" day?
[signature]
The weather. it was snowing hard all day. Ron
[signature]
Sounds and looks like a beautiful day to me[Smile]
[signature]
tell your boy congrats on a fine looking doe! she is gonna eat awesome!
[signature]
big doe ! well done ! i like the dragging out picks. my dad likes to take those pics as well. i also enjoy using older rifles it is fun. i have been using a model 100 winchester in .308 lately it is a fun rifle.
[signature]