Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake mead CARP questions
Since I come from a big trout/sturgeon state and only been in the desert for a couple years Ive been wanting to catch a big carp I know I know there nasty & ugly.[sly]

In some of my fishing adventures around hemingway I have seen them but never caught one. Never really see them around 33 hole either. Just wanted to hear your guys tips and suggestions for catching carp at lake mead from shore thanks

Note: I dont want to snag or spear them.[cool]
[signature]
You dont want to eat them either...luckily they rarely hit an anchovie/sardine/nitecrawler...but once in a while they do. If you want to target carp in Lake Mead try corn or hotdogs. They also seem to like KFC for whatever reason.
[signature]
yeah corn i've found to be the best bait i've tried various homemade baits with no luck, can of yellow corn or even frozen corn work well, i throw about 3 or 4 onto a size 4 snelled hook on either a "drop shot" style rig or carolina rig. toss it out only a few feet and let it soak. my son is the carp king he gets em everytime, even out at 33 hole. his biggest to date is just shy of 9 lbs on a medium action rhino rod on 6 lb test. mine is 6lbs on a medium rod with 6lb test. they fight well on light gear. they also make good catfish chunk bait. my usual carp set up is an 8 ft medium/heavy uglystick and 20lb berkley big game mono in green.
[signature]
Why do you suggest not eating them RangerX? Just curious....

[url "http://www.bassonhook.com/fishforfood/carprecipes.html"]Carp Recipes[/url]
[signature]
Thanks guys looks like corn is the trick. I heard it was more common to catch carp back in the day.I mainly just want free bait and I never caught one before. Hey ranger I would of thought tacos for whatever reason.
[signature]
[quote 4poundonly]I never caught one before. [/quote]

you might get hooked, they say they are the "freshwater or "poor mans" bonefish" they are fun to catch, a bit challenging even being they spook easily. there is even talk of being able to get them on a fly rod. i did some research and found many different "carp flies" are availiable. free bait is true, i filleted an 8lber then chunked it up for bait, i got a good 3 lbs of bait if not more. it stays on the hook great! as far as eating one..? its on my list to do right before eating a turtle lol. but hey i have to admit there is alot of thick meat on the big ones, and the bones are pretty big so de-boning wouldn't be hard. just gotta get passed the "CARP" part lol. gefilte fish anyone?
[signature]
I can add that corn works well. I also think they are fun to catch on 6 pound test. Make it sporty ya know?
[signature]
Back before I knew how to work a drag, I had a carp break 17 lb test. Suckers fight hard man.
[signature]
I have always been a big fan of eating all types of fish. I have lots of good recipes especially for stripers and catfish. I have tried carp several times (with an open mind) and I thought it was just plain nasty. After reviewing some of the "carp" recipes posted by the Whizzle I must admit they sound good but other than a Barracuda I caught in San Diego and cooked I think carp is the only fish I just did not like. To each his own but carp just don't make my list of fish to eat.
[signature]
I wonder how carp would taste by some one who has made it for generations. For example they learned how to cook it from their parents and so on... Maybe there is some kind of art to making carp?
[signature]