Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fly slection
[font "Times New Roman"]Ok so I am looking for a little input on which type of fly (s) I should be working with. I will be fishing a stocked Atlantic Salmon fishery in CT this month. People often say egg patterns... but because these are not spawning during a seasonal “run” it would seem an egg pattern would be less important. I will be tying the flys my self for the most part and if I remember I will bring in (to upload) a photo of the flies I have so far for thoughts tomorrow. I have been thinking along the lines of bright and flashy to attract aggression strikes, flies like Tequila sunrise or purple and blue versions of the same with some flash. The DEP says the fish stocked are 2 – 20 lbs (avg. 9.5lbs) if that matters any. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Peace [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Jim [/font]
[signature]
these are what i have so far ...
[signature]
What have they naturally artificially been feeding on? Match your colors size shape ect to what they are accustomed to already.
[signature]
I know nothing about Atlantic Salmon, but if they are similar in habits to the Steelhead and Pacific Salmon, I would think your flies would be ok. Check in the shops when over there, or even call some shops from here.

I saw this pod cast on Fly fishing for Atlantics and thought I would post it here if you are interested.
http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speake...l/paul.cfm

I haven't listened to this one, but some of the others from that site were very good.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
[signature]
Don't know if this post is too late for your trip or not, but, your fly selections look pretty good. I would, however, add some weighted flies to the armamentarium. Just take your existing patterns and add a barbell to the head on some examples of some of your patterns. Especially if you are fishing deep rivers, you may need to get the fly a little deeper faster than your sink tip will take it before the current takes it out of the zone. If you are just fishing slower waters then this may not be as critical as you just change the rate of sink on your line or add time. I may be applying techniques I use on pacific salmon to atlantic salmon, so someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
[signature]