Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
***CURRENT ICE CONDITIONS & Open Water Reports***
Hey BFT'ers,

Its that time again!

Here is the Current Ice Conditions post. I think this post worked well last year and had over 13,000 views. I will try to delete posts that are getting old and/or may have outdated info so that this board keeps current. This is a great way for people to see ice thicknesses without making a new post on the main board each time. Simply hit reply to this message to post your report or ask for info on a body of water.

>>Also-- for early and late in the season:

Post your open water sightings here so that we can warn people of unsafe ice and/or open water.

Stay Safe!,

Fishkillr
[shocked]
[signature]
livelakeview.com is always a good place to see conditions for some of utahs lakes
[signature]
As of Tuesday 12-5, the majority of Strawberry was still open. Bryants Fork and the bays around it were iced up solid, but once you got out into the mainstream, it opened right up. There was a good skiff of ice in most bays early in the morning, but the wind took it off in a matter of minutes. It's been cold as hell the last two days, so I'd bet there won't be much pontooning for the rest of the year...
Starvation - I took a quick ice recon. trip and took some photos this morning. The ice is starting to develop. South of the bridge was almost capped with some pockets of open water. North of the bridge had a skim of ice from the bridge to Indian Bay. Bunny Gulch had thin ice out to the rock reef. The main lake near the boat ramp and developed State Park area was wide open. I didn't drive to Knight Hollow, but from the dam it looked like ice was forming there also.
[signature]
I did a drive by at 21st street pond in Ogden today, it is capped but I did not see anyone fishing it.
[signature]
Moon Lake (south slope Uintas) - For those interested, Moon Lake is totally capped and looks fishable. I didn't drill any holes, but it looks good. The lake level is coming up slowly so there is some but very little water on the edges. Most years there is too much snow by the time it caps, requiring snowmobiles to access the lake. Access is good right now. There are some snowpacked areas on the road in the shade, but otherwise access is as good as it gets this time of year.

Update - BIGbites and I fished Moon Lake on Saturday Dec. 10 for a couple hours. We fished near the Fish Creek inlet near the southern end of the lake. The ice was 7" thick and solid. Very easy walking with only a skiff of snow on the ice. The fishing was slow as usual. We only managed to ice three fish. 13" Rainbow, 11" Brook and 11" Splake.
[signature]
Hit Mantua this morning, ice was 3.5-4" about 150 yards off the boat ramp. Saw three guys walk from the North parking lot on the West side of the lake across to the knolls on the East side with no problem.
[signature]
stopped at the twenty first street pond this afternoon, Its frozen with majority black ice, someone went and drilled a couple holes I assume earlier today as i was able to check the thickness by pushing my hand through the skim ice, it's about 2-2.5 inches.
[signature]
Hit Scofield today. Ice is about 5" in the dam arm just off of the boat ramp at the State Park.
[signature]
I drove past Echo on Sat Dec 10 and it was mostly capped. I saw nobody on it fishing, as it didn't look safe from a distance. Shouldn't be long now though.
[signature]
In Wyoming it's ice on. Sulpher Creek Reservoir is safe to walk on and fish, drove by Fontnelle and it was completely capped looked fishable, if Fontnelle is iced over it's safe to say Naughton is also. I've also heard from friends that there is ice at Firehole. Good luck everyone!
[signature]
Which reservoir are you refering to?
[signature]
[quote hookngrinin]Starvation - I took a quick ice recon. trip and took some photos this morning. The ice is starting to develop. South of the bridge was almost capped with some pockets of open water. North of the bridge had a skim of ice from the bridge to Indian Bay. Bunny Gulch had thin ice out to the rock reef. The main lake near the boat ramp and developed State Park area was wide open. I didn't drive to Knight Hollow, but from the dam it looked like ice was forming there also.[/quote]

I was at Starvation Saturday 12/10. Most of it was iced with a pretty thin sheet, until we got down to the dam end and there was open water enough to fish there. The bridge is all iced over. Some of the shallower bays, like Indian Bay, still had some significant patches of open water even though a rim of ice is forming around the edges.
[signature]
I think the only lake at the Provo boat harbor, is Utah lake. WH2
[signature]
pineview is for the most part capped, narrows are still open but otherwise its capped.
Drilled a hole at the end of the dock at port ramp and was about 2 - 2.5 inches.
[signature]
Saw three fishing on the ice at the 21st pond in Ogden. I did not talk to them but I saw no fish on the ice.
[signature]
Causey has 7" clear ice with snow over top. As of 12/17/11. Same as Mantua.
[signature]
BIGbites and I fished Pelican saturday afternoon. The action was steady but not as fast as we are used to this early in the ice season. We caught our fill of 8" - 9" bluegill and a few 13" - 14" largemouth bass. We fished the east side and the ice was 7" thick where we were but a couple guys about 50 yards to the north of us drilled additional holes looking for faster action and told me the ice was only about 3" in that spot. So thickness varies but overall conditions are good. The lake is full and the ice is good and solid on the edges. There were four other groups out on the east side. It was great to be on the ice on ol' Pel. [cool]
[signature]
Hooked a few nice fish on Echo this weekend on top of some questionable ice...3 inches most places, but still some open water..Be careful!! By next week it should be good to go...
[signature]
Drive by Rockport at all?
[signature]