Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas powered auger won't start
I have a two year old eskimo power auger. Took it out on Friday. Started up quickly, cut a hole and then died and haven't been able to get it running again. I replaced the spark plug and added some sea foam to the fuel.

I suspect that I have either bad fuel (too rich, not not enough oil or just bad gas), a bad spark plug wire or a bad on/off switch.

I am going to try starting it tomorrow after the sea foam sits in the engine over night. If that doesn't work I will go get some new fuel with the right ratio (50/1 I believe) and with stabil and sea foam mixed in. After that I am not sure what to do.

The engine has always started up just fine. The only time it wouldn't was when junk got in the spark plug and prevented it from firing.

Do any of you have any recommendations?

How can I check to make sure the plug is creating a spark?

How can I know if the switch or the spark wire are bad?

Thanks.
[signature]
Did you have a gas treatment in your fuel such as Stabil and let it run awhile before you put it away last winter? I do that plus pull the plug out and squirt some oil in the cylinder as I'm turning it over with the pull rope. To check your plug you can remove the plug from the cylinder then attach igniter lead and turn the motor over in a low or no light condition, you should see a good spark at the electrode or have some one crank the engine over as you are holding on to the end of the plug and see how much your hair stands up.[fishin]
[signature]
So I went into a dark bathroom, put the plug in the wire and pulled the cord in complete darkness. Didn't see a spark or anything coming from the plug. Did I do that right?

So no spark means either the wire is bad or the toggle switch isn't working since I have a new plug? Or could the new plug also be defective?

I am really at a lose what to do. Just wondering if I need to take it into a mechanic.
[signature]
I justr ordered a new ignition coil and toggle switch for $40. Better fix the problem. After new blades, new center blade, new sprak plug, seafoam and stabil for gas, new gas, etc., I could have almost bought a new one. Can't justify paying $75/hour to have lawn mower repair shiop fix it either.
[signature]
Sounds like you did it right, it could be the plug, which you could check out by doing the same thing with plug removed and using a jumper wire on the lead and stick it in ignition lead and close enough to something metal as you turn the motor over to see if you have a spark or not, this would eliminate the plug. You will need to start trouble shooting the rest of the electrical system from there. Good luck hope you find the problem.
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]Sounds like you did it right, it could be the plug, which you could check out by doing the same thing with plug removed and using a jumper wire on the lead and stick it in ignition lead and close enough to something metal as you turn the motor over to see if you have a spark or not, this would eliminate the plug. You will need to start trouble shooting the rest of the electrical system from there. Good luck hope you find the problem.[/quote]

Instead of wire, use one of those current checkers with the light. Easier to see the light than a spark
[signature]
So the toggle switch and the coil that I ordered came in today. Took a while to take a part everything, install the new pieces and put it all back together. But as soon as I did, purrrrrr!! SWWWWEETTTT!! I was proud of myself!! I am pretty sure that it was the coil but wondering now if the coil was bad or just to far from the flywheel. Wish I would have readjusted the original and tried it but oh well.

I have always had the motor idle too high. The auger would start spinning after starting it up without any presuure on the throttle. So I thought I would fix that issue too. While in the process, I noticed gas was just pouring out of the cap and then I noticed the screw was missing. Couldn't find it even though I had seen it in the cap 10 minutes prior. A quick trip to Sportsmans and 45 min. later had a new cap.

It took some adjusting and toying around but I finally got the idle speed adjusted just right. SHe purrs like a cat. I only need some ice to test it on now (just like everyone else).

So auger costs in the last 4 weeks
New Blades $25
New Center Blade $25
New Toogle $10
New Coil $30
New gas with stabil and SeaFoam $15
New Spark Plug $5

So $110 later, the auger is ready to go and I know much better how it works. But to think I only paid $330 for it or so 3 years ago and I just paid a third of the purchase price to upkeep it?!

I am starting to save up for an electric or propane powered auger. It would be so nice to just flip a switch and be ready to go.
[signature]
So when are you going to put that thing up for sale and get a new one! Leave your troubles behind! I've been craving an auger I don't have to crank by arm for a decent price!
[signature]
Believe me I considered it, but I took it out and it ran like a champ. I think I will at least keep it through this year and may sell it for $200 or so next year to help pay for the $500 electric.
[signature]
I just saw your post and I know it's a little old, but if you ever run into a problem, send me a PM and I'll help. I've been a tech for over 20 years.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!