Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
basic knot care
Hey , if your like me there's nothing that ticks me off more than getting a big fish on and fighting that battle when suddenly , the line goes limp . Your just left standing there , a little embarased as fellow anglers say , " lost em' , huh ? " and let out with a barley auditable chuckle . You reel in and see that little bit of twisted pigtail , remenants of your knot .One ounce of prevention could have gotten you that trophy .Knots are your weakest link to the fish, so inspect knots for damage while fishing .

Retie knots after catching a fish. It will pay off when the big one bites. There may be hidden damage from the stress.

Make sure knot wraps are lying cleanly inline. Overlapping line will cut your knot strength.

Wet your knots before cinching tight. (saliva or a water bottle)Pull knots tight with firm even pressure.

Don't jerk on knot!! That will stress the line and weaken its strength.

Trim knots to about 1/4 inch in length unless its a knot that travels though the guides. The extra bit of line may hold the knot if it slips.Use finger nail clippers to trim your knots.

Cut off minor nicks and cuts on your leaders and mainline.

Make sure you have enough wraps on your knot.

On hooks never tie a knot to the hook eye unless the hook is designed for it. Tying the knot on the eye puts extra stress on your hook shank and eye. Big fish will shear off or straighten your hook.

Remember , knots are your weakest link to the fish, so inspect them .
[signature]
THANKS FOR THE INFO i DO HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS. AND i WILL BE MORE CAREFUL.

JOE
[signature]
hi ya joe , glad to finally see ya . are you any relation to the k. family in s.e. michigan ?

there's nothing more heartbreaking than getting a big old fish on and pulling up a little pig tale after he's gone , man that almost makes you wanna snap the rod in two !
[signature]
I have been tempted to break a rod or two. but somehow restrain myself. I always thought that I was just tying crappy knots but I never thought about stress from having caught fish. I'll retie my knots more often from now on.

Joe
[signature]
i saw a guy snap his coustom flyrod in two and toss it in the drink . when we got the lower half back for him to get the reel off we saw that the tipit had a pigtale , the knot came undone and caused his fustration . a week later i found his top piece , it made for a nice ice fishing rod !
[signature]
[Wink] I know on spider wire , when you get light pound line ( 4# and under ) it wants to slip through ! Try puting a drop of super glue and it will hold it good !!!
[signature]
Thanks for the info! I'm always careful about wetting the knot but sometimes the line tastes kinda gross. [:/]

A lot of times, instead of using saliva or water from a bottle, I'll just drop the hook and line in the water, pull it back up, and then tighted it.

I'm still working on the knot tying though! It's gonna take me probably a couple years before I get the basic fishing knots done properly. I've actually bent and broken hooks before. Heh, guess them knots held better than the hook!

Carp are a great test for your knot strength.
But I actually broke a hook after a nice battle with a smallmouth bass. Got him in and while taking the hook out, the shank broke!
[signature]