Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for Florida Keys fishing
I'm going down to the Florida Keys in about three weeks and i plan on doing a ton of fishing but I don't want to pay for a charter boat. I was wondering if anybody had any tips about were I could go and what kind of tackle/bait/lures I should use. Keep in mind I wont have a boat or a ton of money. [fishin]
[signature]
If I don't have access to a boat while in the Keys I usually will fish from the old bridges. Here's a link to them from north to south. http://www.keysweb.info/infopages/bridge_fishing.htm
About the first first handful in the north aren't that great. If your driving down from Miami just stop at the big 24 hour tackle shop just south of Florida City before you hit the Keys. Can't miss it on the right (west) side of the road and they'll tell you which ones to skip over and what bait and tackle to use. I think it's Jack's Bait and Tackle- it never closes and it never really gets cold so they don't have any doors on the entrance. Besides bait I also use gulp shrimp and crabs. Seven mile is a very popular one to fish from. It's about 40 miles from Key West so not too far of a drive if you spend some time there. You can also catch some fish at Bahia Honda State Park just north of Seven mile. The north end ocean side between the next island there is a nice channel. You can pay for the park or park at that island and walk in and fish. It used to be nice and a few would sun there instead of Bahia Honda. After the last 2 hurricanes wasn't as nice as before .On the bayside at Bahia Honda ( drive under the highway toward the cabins) there is a manmade concrete lagoon that fish will swim into. Can catch a few during the day and target sharks in the evening. Almost any channel is good to fish around changing tides. You can get to some flats on foot and fish. Google it and you'll find directions to many such spots. You'll also see many flats further south . I haven't done any flats fishing as it's not child friendly and my son and possible nephews are usually with me. It certainly can be done with out a boat. So many places to fish without a boat and many of the tackle shops will help point you in the right direction no matter what type of fishing you're wanting to do so don't be afraid to ask. Have fun, great place to fish and catch some sun in the winter
[signature]
Thanks a lot! i will post pics when i get back [cool]
[signature]
If it is just you the cheapest way to go out would be a half day charter boat. If you are with others rent out a boat if you feel comfortable driving. Then you can split the costs between passengers and stay out all day.

John
[url "http://www.indigobayhotel.com/"]places to stay in the keys[/url]
[signature]
We'll look forward to the pic's kbd[Image: bobwink.gif]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator