Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asian Carp
Where was that flying carp infestation in Colorado? I think it was barr lake, I know it was around Denver. I really want to catch one. I don't have a boat, I've only seen people catching them in nets while they're air born, from boats.. Does anyone know if they can get caught off shore with baits?
On that subject, does anyone have any carp tips in general?
[signature]
I haven't heard of Asian carp being found in Colorado yet.
[signature]
thats news to me. last i hard anything about it they were making thier way into lake michagan running up river from the Ill and MS rivers. as far as colorado i never heard that they had made it out west, would assume they would have to start the journey up the Ark river in which case they would be in John Martin beore any where else in colorado, or of course bucket biologists.
[signature]
My mistake. It must have been the silver carp, though I question my memory now. I (probably like most Americans) don't pay much attention to carp and consider them trash. I know the Europeans consider them a sport fish.
I've always enjoyed the short but solid fight they give and have tried to go out just for carp with no luck before. In mating season when they make a lot of noise and splashes by shore they seem to be focused on that and not eating, but its always frustrating seeing a school of carp ignoring my lures.
I assume worms and dough baits are they way to go, I don't understand the bow fishing, sure its good to control population, but I'm not the type to kill for sports sake.
A small pond/park near my house held a few large tiger muskie (the center of a ridiculous crocodile scare). One of which was left dead on the shore to rot after someone shot it with an arrow. This really made me mad, its illegal to shoot anything other than carp, I'm sure. I saw a snapping turtle the same year with an arrow through the neck left to rot. Low life's to say the least. Learn the rules.
Sorry to digress, but I would still appreciate any info on the Silver carp in Colorado, or tips on how to catch carp.
Thanks.
[signature]
The Silver Carp is an Asian Carp. It does appear that the Silver Carp has been introduced to Eastern Slope water treatment ponds, but I have not sure about status in recreational lakes and reservoirs. http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet...ciesID=549
[signature]
What are the chances they might become problematic?
[signature]