Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
urrrg! keep getting skunked!
I live in Vietnam and usually fish for a species called Pacu. They're related to parahna's but much bigger. Pretty simple and fun to catch. Ledger with shrimp or worms and they strike very hard.

Now I've decided I need a challenge and have started fishing for a catfish species Pangasiidae (asian catfish). Been going to a particular stocked pond once a week and each week come home demoralized. I've asked regulars what they use as bait but they're always vague. Dough bait made of rice and milk/yogurt. I think the key is having a very tart smelling bait. I go around smelling everyone's dough bait and everyone's a little different but no one will tell me the secret. I've tried several variations and get no results. The one time I did hook a fish was when some one gave me some of their bait. This is a long shot but can anyone help?
[signature]
Catfish have an incredable sense of smell. I would capitalize on that. Also find areas that are dark and out of the sun if you are fishing in the day. What are they naturally feeding on, I would try to match the odor. Its funny you mention that you smell other's bait. You must be a dedicated fisherman. That's were I would draw the line. I read an informative post the other day [url "http://http://fishingforbeginners.net/how-to-catch-catfish/"]how to catch catfish[/url]. It talks about the various senses of the catfish, where to find them and what time is best.

Catfish fishing can have a big payoff if you know the right technique and where to find them.

Some fellow anglers I know will also chum for catfish. They do this by taking a burlap bag with crushed baitfish and dropping it over the bridge or other area where they are fishing.

I never head out before sun-down I do much better at that time.
[signature]
The place I fish is a stocked man made pond which might be an acre. Fishing hours are only until 5pm. No shade over the pond for the fish to hide. Not sure what they feed the fish but the come from a fish farm. I spent a day out there without my poles to see how others are catching fish and luckily found someone that would give me some advice. Everyone has their own special recipe but a good starting point is white rice, yogurt and cheese. The thing I love about this one pond is they will buy the fish back which means if your good or have a lucky day you'd actually turn a profit.
[signature]