Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For all you smallmouth lovers and stream fisherman
Looks like Otter Res. is going to get stocked with small mouth bass. That's what's going up for approval for the state wildlife board.

If you love fishing streams don't plan on ever catching stocked fish again. Just another little bit of info from the RAC meeting wednesday.
[signature]
Are your comments about stream fishing because the smallmouth bass will go down the river below Otter Creek? I have fished the river right below the Otter Creek dam, and as a teenager, had one of my best fishing days ever, catching the 3 to 5 pound rainbows that had come through the dam. It was like fishing in a fish hatchery that day down there. Just a 100 yards further down river (where the road crosses the river) the chubs were so thick in the river that it was almost impossible to even attempt to fish for the trout.
[signature]
Hedgesd's comments are two seperate comments. The DWR has been working on creating self-sustaining trout populations in streams and rivers in the state for a few years. The ultimate goal is to not have to stock trout in rivers and streams throughout the state.

Coincidentally, the DWR is working on purchasing some land downstream from Otter Creek, near Kingston Canyon. They are trying to get some land that is bordered by BLM land. This has always been private, with no angler access. Also, the DWR was working on a deal with a couple private land owners upstream from the BLM land. They wanted to create some stream easements, and also do some stream restoration through the private area. Sounds like the Blue Ribbon committee may have screwed things up a little bit, but maybe we can get lucky and the DWR can still make a deal with the private owners.
[signature]
Otter Creek Reservoir has been stocked with smallmouth bass for some time now. There are actually some nice fish in there from what I hear. So don't worry about any major shift in population structure in the tail race, it would have probably already happened. Ryno
[signature]
I didn't attend this RAC meeting so my info is only second hand. Well from what I was told about the smallies being stocked into otter I was under the impression that they were going to introduce them. I guess if they already have smalls it's from the bucket brigade.

The DWR is trying to do just like what PBH said and not stock trout. I'm sure they will still plant a few in some places but the main objective is to improve the quaility of lakes and reservoir fishing. I think this could be a step in the right direction for fishing in Utah.
[signature]
Don't worry kent about smallmouths going down river they'll end up in Piute which already has or atleast did have smallmouths.

Just a little more info. I guess they are going to slaughter the deer herds in the dead sage area but nothing is being done to remove or reduce the grazing in that area. Sounds like another stupid move by the state.
[signature]
When they planted the smallmouth in Piute several years ago they also planted a few in Otter Creek. Not very many but for a couple of years people that targeted them caught a few nice fish. They didn't hurt the trout at all in the small numbers that were in there. It will be interesting to see what a large population of smallies will do. And about Piute, Unless they re-planted smallies in there last fall they were all killed when they treated the reservoir for chubs last summer. It was Sad to see them kill that place because the smallies had grown huge. My father fished there last spring and caught several that were from 3-5 lbs. I hope they re-plant them in there.

MJ
[signature]
AHHHH...now it makes sense. Since the time I was a little boy, my family has been camping on the North Fork of the Duchesne. That's where I learned how to fish. However, for the past five years or so, the fishing has been absolutely lousy. They just haven't been planting it. I thought that it was because of the drought, but I guess this is my answer. I can understand where they are coming from, but it still makes me a little Sad. I loved catching those planters as a kid and I was looking forward to sharing those little places with my own children.
[signature]
I was not at the RAC either, and I need to find out a little more inforamation about what they are going to do with the deer, but my own opinion is why not let hunters harvest the deer before they just starve to death on their own? There is going to be lots of deer and elk starving this winter because there is no feed available on winter ranges. This isn't due to overgrazing by cattle and sheep (they graze up on the mountains all summer long). Does anyone know where they are talking about allowing the extra harvest? I have heard that the 3 corners area is one spot, any others that anyone knows about?
[signature]
There's a RAC meeting tomorrow night in Springville if anyone wants more information, or to voice your views. Personally, I think it's a lot like voting. If you don't vote, then don't complain about the decisions that are being made. I've never actually been to an RAC meeting before, but tomorrow will be my first. I know loanfish is planning on going, and I think aquaman is too.

It's at 6:30 pm Aug. 26th, at the following address:

Springville Jr. High

165 S. 700 E.
[signature]
I agree that hunters should be allowed to harvest those deer that could starve but I don't think they have everything planned out good. The proposed season dates are January and I think the other was December. What's the point in having a late hunt like this when it should be early enough to save some of the food that's available. The second issue is that the BLM is asking the ranchers to keep their animals out of this sensitive area but I'm sure you all know how ranchers will react. Take a look around and you'll see that some do what they should but most don't move there animals once they are told. Heck it seems like the only thing that gets them to move there stock is the threat of loosing that herd. It seems like the Taylor Grazing Act needs to be updated.

I looks like the only problem we have is that all the wrong people have to much power in the DWR.
[signature]
Here's a link to the DWR's report on the situation with the dead sage.

[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/03-08/sagebrush.html"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/03-08/sagebrush.html[/url]
[signature]
i talked to the ranger there this spring. they planted 5000? i think is the number, of fingerlings for the past two years. i dont know why they are going to stock it with small mouth they said in two years of gill netting they found very few and their growth rates were poor. he acted as though it was a dead horse. amazing how things change i guess. not planting streams is not a good move for the state in my opinion. some streams receive so much pressure its crazy and are now catering to catch and release in all streams which is not good for some. the areas that receive heavy pressure hae to receive stocks or the breeder will be gone in a blink. i guess my moves to purchase montana and idaho season fishing passes will pay off since it looks like all my streams and rivers might be dramatically affected by this.
[signature]
lets not forget the overwhelming popularity to build large houses right smack in the middle of winter grazing ranges.
[signature]