Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview ice?
[Image: beaten.gif]Does anybody know about the ice conditions on pinevew, or if there is even any ice yet? If not when does it usually have safe ice?
[signature]
I hope its going to happen soon, but with the weather for the next few weeks I dont think it will. I spoke with TD and looked at the past posted messages as well and it is usually good around the first of the year and has people fishing on it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Deeper lakes, like Pineview, take a prolonged spell of brutally cold temps to get a cap on the lake. And it must also stay wind-free during that time. Deep water maintains a warmer surface temp longer than shallow lakes that cool quicker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The last couple of years there was fishable ice around the first of December, and it looked like it was going that direction again this year. But the turnaround in the weather kinda put a hold on the ice cap. I'm looking for another deep freeze about Christmas and fishable ice by New Years.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will probably dunk my tube in Pineview one day next week and get a reading on water temps and fish concentrations at different depths. Hope I can find some of the larger crappies and perch. They have really been averaging small again this year. But, there are always some big ones if you can find them and get them to "yawn".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the meantime, just breathe through your nose and don't jump off your ice sled just yet.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was at sportsmans warehouse tonight and they had a paper up saying there was safe ice over the whole lake? From what you guys are saying that is incorrect? Is sportsmans warehouse full of it?
[signature]
Sportsman's usually checks the " hot spot fishing on the DWR website. The reports are sometimes word for word. I would be really careful on trusting that. Another example was, I was in there last week the guys wanted to know how I did at Scofield because they needed to change the board. Remember ice conditions change. Last week I was fishing by guys and their sleds, during the trip across the ice I found areas that were only 3 1/2 to 4" thick.

They are good guys there and most are avid ice fisherman, they know what they are talking about, but they trust others interpretation of what is going on. If you are in there ask them where they have fished and specifically about the reports.

Thanks guys at Sportsman's for all the help you have given me. (yes this is a CMA and an effort not to torch bridges.)
[signature]
All the ice that was beginning to form a week ago is GONE. The warm temperatures (high 30's) and the rain did not help us Hard Deckers. Good news though, the parking lot at the Port Ramp is almost snowless now.
[signature]
[quote SmokeOnTheWater]. Good news though, the parking lot at the Port Ramp is almost snowless now.[/quote]

Hey Smoke...thanks for the update...looking forward to eventually get'n on the View hard deck...it will happen and it needs to happen NOW!!! Can't stand sitting and doing all the house chores like paint this paint that...fix this fix that...talk about boring...[Smile][Smile]
[signature]
How's the ramp itself? Open enuf to launch a small boat?

Thanks for the info. Nice to know what the "real" conditions are. Looks like I'll just have to chase some Cutler kitties, see if anything crappie'd show up!
Hey Pat, don't know if u caught it or not, but they were talking about you on the fishing show this morning on KSL. [Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nope. I missed it. Hope they didn't say anything good and mess up my reputation. Do I need to call my lawyer and start a libel suit going?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now that you mentioned it, I did sense a ripple in the FORCE.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
No, nothing good. Talking about your post on this or another site about tubing last week.
Libelous? Borderline.
I do believe the word "crazy" came up a couple times. They just don't know you like we do!
[signature]
"I do believe the word "crazy" came up a couple times. They just don't know you like we do!"

[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like they know me well. As long as they don't accuse me of being careful, considerate, prudent or any of those hateful comments I gots no problem with it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Spent yesterday morning out in my tube puttering around the port ramp area. Lots of little perch. Water temp was 36-37 degrees. Wanted to head to Narrows area, but didn't make it. May try this week. No ice and launch ramp was clear as can be.
[signature]