Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern Sierras
[font "Courier New"][size 2]I am going up to June lake area, or the Rock Creek area.[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Courier New"][size 2]and I am looking for the best place to go fly fishing, float tubing and camping on the 8\28\03.[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Courier New"][size 2]Whats the drive like up the 395 to the area, would I be better taking the 99 to Visala? or what.[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Courier New"][size 2]I live in Moreno Valley Ca.[/size][/font][size 1] [/size]
[signature]
[cool]If you are going to the Eastern Sierras, you need to take the 395...past 4 corners and up through Independence, Lone Pine and Bishop area. Lake Crowley is on the east side of 395 just past "Tom's Place". It is a great lake for float tubing and fly fishing...but until the temps cool down it may be tough. June Lakes are a little higher, but deep trolling is going to be the best approach there until cool weather too.

Rock creek is usually good for planted rainbows and occasionally has some decent holdovers. All of the waters up there have suffered from the long hot summer, after several years of drought. You might want to check some of the fishing reports from the area.

DO NOT go over the Sierras from Visalia. While there are a couple of passes, in Yosemite Park, you will make it faster, easier and safer by going up 395.

Have you got a chance to throw some line with that bamboo fairy wand yet?

Also, you might try posting this same question on the California Board, if you haven't already. There are a few of the guys over there that hit the Sierras on occasion.
[signature]
Yes I have, and it is a 6 wt. very nice rod. but I went on and got me a Winston IBIS 5 wt. they are both fine rods. I got a Reddington reel and $200.00 in flys, I am ready, but I think I might sit tight and wait untill it gets colder and sneak up there then, gas prices just went stupid agin. With labor day around the corner the glottons are at it again. its $2.50 a gallon. I thhought I was at a movie theater getting popcorn standing there with sticker shock you know what I mean.

give me the link to the cal board, the one I use is

[url "http://www.socalfishing.net/"]http://www.socalfishing.net/[/url]

Hey thanks again

Steve
[signature]
[cool] Hey Taipan,

Sounds like you're all ready for the trip. I am also a CA native and just got back a couple weeks ago from that area. Until Sept, stay away from Crowley. They have a month long fishing tournament going on and I had a tough time even trying to get to the tubing spot on the NE side of the Lake.

June lake is a little low right now but still fishable. Rock Creek may be your best bet. They have several campsites all along the the East side of the Creek just before the lake. Just like TubeDude said, turn there at Tom's Place and head west. The fishing is still decent up there right now. Send me a PM if you need any particulars.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Taipan, the link for the BFT California board is [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?jump=forum%3D13"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?jump=forum%3D13[/url]

JapanRon is the moderator over there. By the way, if you will click Main Index at the top of any main page, you will find all kinds of other boards to spend your time gawking at...fly fishing, freshwater fishing, rod building, etc.

I know what you mean about the gas prices. We had a broken line here for the last two weeks and some "gougers" were actually charging $4 a gallon for gas. The good news is that they didn't have any.
[signature]
Sounds like I might sit it out.

I'll waight untill colder wether when the fishing gets better.

thanks Steve
[signature]
[cool]Well, you could always visit your inlaws in Tempe and we could fix fishin' rods and complain about the heat together...hoping for cooler weather and better fishing for all of us.
[signature]
I begged my wife to go out there last weekend.

I never know with her.

You know it has to be her idea.

LOL
[signature]